Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jumanji Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2009, 12:46 PM
    Receiving Letters from a law office about an old credit card debt
    I have an outstanding debt with a credit card company dating back to 2001. I am receiving correspondence from a law office requesting the payment for this debt. It has gone to judgment. I was in IL at the time, I know reside in IN. Has the statue of limitations passed on this debt? If so, what info can I provide to this law office? If it hasn't, what can I do to stop them from possible garnishment?

Mr. A
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2009, 01:05 PM

If they received a judgment against you, then SOL doesn't apply... doesn't matter where you live.

Are you positive that this actually went to court and that a judgment was awarded?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 15, 2009, 02:22 PM

Ask for a copy of the Judgment. If you cannot reach a payment arrangement with them and the Judgment is valid, then they will attempt to collect the Judgment by any legal means, including a garnishment of your salary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being sued for credit card debt by law firm representing credit card company [ 7 Answers ]

Well, its happened. I have received a summons for a credit card debt by law firm. I have to go to the county court house to talk with the clerk... (not sure what will happen,never been sued before)If I don't go within 20 days, they say they will start proceedings to garnishing my wages. I do owe...

Credit Card Debt? Consolidate using debt consolidation agency? Good or Bad? [ 11 Answers ]

Does it reflect negatively on my credit report if I consolidate credit card debt using a debt consolidation agency? I can make my credit card payments, but only the minimums. The APR's are mid to high teens -- I feel like a hamster on a wheel. Is it worse to continue like I am, with credit cards...

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Law office collecting on old credit card balance [ 3 Answers ]

I owe about $1600 dollars on a credit card, that I opened when I was 18. I paid half my tuition on it, and I could not make the payments. That was 3 years ago (I am 21 now). I have received numerous letters from the credit card company, and then from creditors, and last week I received one that...

View more questions Search