Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hdtvman-2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2006, 08:13 PM
    Tax Effect of 501(c)(7) Sale of Asset
    Does anyone know what the tax effect of a 501(c)(7) Tax-Exempt Corporation (Social Club for hunting & fishing) selling an asset is?

This asset would be a portion of the land that the corporation owns. There are 39 members and most likely the net proceeds from the sale would be distributed equally to each member. There could be a capital gains tax due to the corporation but I'm not sure.

Secondly, it would seem that the individual member could treat the distribution as a "return of capital" and reduce his or her cost basis for their purchase of stock in the Club. Are there any comments on that?

Thanks in advance for you help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 29, 2006, 04:16 PM
    Cannot help you! Tax consultation for 501c organizations is specialized tax work which I do not do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asset Protection [ 2 Answers ]

I am probably going to be sued in the near future because of an auto accident which was my fault. I had no insurance and it was a rental car. Is there any way to protect my assets? I have a savings account but it is for my retirement...

Je for disposing of asset [ 3 Answers ]

How do you record the disposal of an asset when it has been partly depreciated and you didn't get anything for the asset. EX. Furniture cost 8000 Accum Deprec 5000 :confused:

Cost of an asset [ 1 Answers ]

I bought an asset worth $500 from a dealer for $469. How would I record this on my balance sheet? Under Canadian GAAP would there be an argument for both recording methods (i.e. record asset cost as $500 or $469)> Also, let's say receivables are very slow for me. I have no estimates with...

Trade In Of An Asset [ 1 Answers ]

On December 1, 2005, Cutting Edge Traded An Old Piece Of Equipment For A Newer Model. The Following Information Pertains To This Transaction: Old Machine: Original Cost 18,000 Accumulated Depreciation As Of 12/1/05 13,500 ...

View more questions Search