Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GCON2006 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2006, 08:08 PM
    Hardship withdrawal
    Hi,

What kind of documentation is needed to prove a hardship.

I am in danger of being evicted by my landlord. My credit cards are maxed, my bills and expenses for myself and my dependents is beyond my income.

What steps do I need to do to get this hardship proved and how long is the process to receive the money.

Thanks.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2006, 10:17 PM
    You absolutely must check with your plan administrator. The govt does not require employeers to allow hardships. But hardships such as education, prevention of eviction, and severe financial hardships can be allowed.

So go straight to the source. Talk to your provider about what is allowed under their administration and what is needed to qualify.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 29, 2006, 05:51 AM
    What you describe does not qualify as hardship under 401(k) rules. Your plan adminiatrator can tell you what you need to do. You might consider taking a 401(k) loan.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 29, 2006, 06:13 AM
    I agree with Scott as a loan to yourself is much better than withdrawing from your potential retirement fund plus you will not have to pay penalties and taxes on money you loan yourself and is easier to access.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2006, 07:05 AM
    Absolutely. If you can get a loan against the 401k instead of a withdrawl it is always the better of two bad ideas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Early withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

I need to withdraw my 401 K funds but have been told I can't do it because I am still working for the company. My total is fully vested. I don't qualify for a hardship withdrawel & already have 2 loans on it. Is there anything I can do?

IRA Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My husband and I would like to put a down payment on a house using my IRA account. I am a first time buyer, but my husband is not. Is there a way to avoid the 10% penalty? Also, should we have the taxes withdrawn now or wait until tax time? Thanks.

401k early withdrawal or hardship? [ 9 Answers ]

I need $22500.00 to pay off debts. Why do I have to qualify in order to get my money when I have $54,000.00 in my 401k. I need to pay off debt not pay for funeral.. If I don't pay off my debts I am looking at losing my home in the near future as they raise my interest rate from 8% to 11 %. How can...

Information on "Hardship Withdrawal" from Retirement Plan [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: My husband who is 44 yrs old just lost his job & is having a hard time finding another one. He worked for this company for about 2 1/2 years & has accumulated a little money in his retirement account. The only money we currently have coming in is my child support which is a far cry...

View more questions Search