Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IamPlink Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2009, 04:37 AM
    Q to Speedball1
    Hey Speedball1 - I was reading your reply to questions on how to repair a leaky spigot. You offered an image that wasn't "visable". I need to make the same repair to a slow leaky spigot... fun is! The entries were from 2006... any chance you have the image handy to repost or send? Would sure appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Plink ;)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 15, 2009, 04:45 AM
    Hey Pink,
    Yeah! I seem to be losing images off my older posts. Can you paste up the post the image was missing from? I have lots of faucet images. So I'll need the brand name, its function , a discription (one handle or two knobs) and its approximate age. Back to you, Tom

May 15, 2009, 04:49 AM

Awe man... how did I know you were going to ask me that? LOL!! Give me a minute I'll find it and copy and paste the original... take a nap... it may take me a few... LOL!!

Ok here we go, the Q then your answr, etc...
    Q: Water drips from just beneath the handle on my outdoor spigot when the spigot is on. Where can I find a diagram that will tell me how to take apart, but especially how to put back together, the handle part of the spigot?
    A: While this may not look exactly like your hose bib,(see image) the innards are the same. You don't have to open up the valve to repair a stem leak. Turn on the hose bib and then snug up the bonnet packing nut until the leak stops. Good luck, tom

Is this enough info.. There is a couple more entries if not... :)
    Eternal Plumber

May 15, 2009, 05:17 AM
    I remember that post. Here's the image I put up. Do you have a bonnet packing nut leak? That's a leak out the stem when the hose bib's used. More questions? I'm as close as a click. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

May 15, 2009, 05:21 AM
    Ok - well, that's not the kind of "spigot" I got... mine comes straight out from the wall with the hose hook up underneith - it's indoors - for washer hose hook up, round "flowery" looking handle - hey, what would you expect from a girl! ;) LOL!! And it's just behind the "flower" that it has the slow "drip". So I guess my question is, can I still follow your "line of repair" as in that thread? https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...dle-31781.html
    Eternal Plumber

May 15, 2009, 05:27 AM
    The advice I gave back then is the same.
    Turn on the valve and then snug up the bonnet packing nut until the leak stops
    If there's some confusion about the valve how about vtaking a picture of it and letting me see. Regards, t6om

May 15, 2009, 05:41 AM

Ok... will make the attempted repair this weekend as I am at work now. I'll take a pic though and shoot it to you Monday as I don't have internet at home. Yeah I know... I am un-american. Not really, just have a computer that is nothing more than a $1,500 paper weight! So I'll get back to you on Monday & let you know how your advice pans out! AND THANKS! Have a great weekend!
    Eternal Plumber

May 15, 2009, 07:16 AM
    Hey Pinky,
    Does the supply look like these? Cheers, Tom
    Attached Images

May 15, 2009, 07:38 AM
    Nah... the spigot itself comes straight out from the wall with the valve on it and the hose connection underneith at an angle forward not straight down. The lower hose connection portion is like the photos in the original 2006 threads but the on/off valve part is not at an angle up, it's straight out from the wall but it's the same kind of stem set up from the looks of it from the photo attached.
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

May 15, 2009, 11:27 AM
    Hey pinky,
    Ya had me thinking all sorts of exotic vakves,
    it's indoors - for washer hose hook up, round "flowery" looking handle
    I think that's what threw me off. You have a plain old , garden variety, hose bib or outdoor sill cock. (see image). You have the bonnet packing nut on yours unscrewed and pulled up on the stem. Put it back!!
    A few posts back I told you exactly what to do.
    Turn on the valve and then snug up the bonnet packing nut until the leak stops
    Simple huh? Ican't believe it took me this long to wrap this up. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

May 18, 2009, 03:44 AM
    You are 2 funny! What do you expect from a girl! "flowery" was all I could think of but your "plumber" intuition set it and is correct - garden variety it is! I had quite the weekend and didn't have time to get to it but am going to tackle it tonight. Will follow your instruction and let you know how it goes boss! Have a great day and THANKS TONS for your knowledge! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thanks From Speedball1 [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks guys for taking up the slack on the plumbing page while I was recuperating from surgery. What I thought would be a simple biopsy "morphed" into a surgical procedure when they cut out a "precancerous mass" at the base of my tongue. This meant that ALL my food would have to be liquid but...

Speedball1 (Tom) [ 9 Answers ]

FYI: Tom's been off since a minor surgery on Monday. He thanks those of you who have asked about him and those who have helped on the Plumbing board in his absence. Going into it, he had expected to be back possibly by today but says the painkillers have got him just too loopy to be online. ...

Yo speedball1 over here [ 3 Answers ]

I just found this site... and nobody has answered my question so since you seem to be incredibly knowledgible or knowledgeable oh hell since you seem to KNOW so much I posted a question in education section on financial aid could you help... Thanks so much and you can write me via email my...

View more questions Search