Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bandit984 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2003, 07:11 PM
    Windows desktop
    When I click on a shortcut item on my desktop, the message "windows cannot find browser.exe" "This program is needed for opening files of type "URL: Hyper Text Transfer Protocol" How can I be able to click on shorcut and have the web page brought up. Any help in correcting this problem would be greatly appreciated.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Mar 1, 2003, 01:29 AM
    windows desktop
    Bandit984:
    The problem can be fixed. The procedure is different for each version of windows, so the following instructions may not be completely accurate for you.

When you double-click the shortcut, and windows says it can't find browser.exe, there should be a "browse" button in the dialog box. Click it, and select your internet browser. Click OK and it will load.
    If you want to make this change permanent, click the checkbox marked "always use this program for opening this type of file."
    Now it should work.

If that doesn't work, try this:
    1) Starting from the desktop, double-click "my computer" (or any folder)
    Go to the tools menu, and click folder options.
    If you don't have a tools menu, then folder options should be under the view menu, in this case it might only be called "options." (It is different for different versions of windows.)

2) Click the "file types" tab in the window that comes up.

3) Scroll through the long list until you find your "URL: Hypertext transfer protocol." Single-click it. In the bottom part of the window you will see "Opens with:" after that it will name some program, probably browser.exe.

4) Click the change button. Scroll through the list and select your internet browser. Click OK and then it should work...
    To make this change permanent, click the checkbox "always use this program for opening this type of file."

If you still can't get it to work, please repy and specify which windows version you are using, and I will try to help. :)

Hope this helps...

~psi42

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Desktop [ 8 Answers ]

While trying to place a shortcut icon for eBay on my desktop, I selected the option to paste to desktop. Now I have a portion of the eBay home page on the desktop and I don't know how to remove it. Need advice please. Thanks.

Icons missing from desktop on Windows XP [ 2 Answers ]

I have a elderly client that I recently visted for a beginners training session. Somehow... the icons on her DESKTOP are gone... the icons on her desktop are goneHow do I get them back on the desktop. Thank you. [email protected]

Desktop [ 4 Answers ]

Hi folks Could any one tell me how to stop My documents automatically opening when I start up my computer. :confused: :confused:

Windows Desktop [ 1 Answers ]

Over time as I install/add new programs, the right portion of my window become populated with additional icons. I believe that these items eats up much memory. The listing of items automatically loaded each time I turn my PC on can be viewed by activating <Alt> <Ctrl> <Del>. For my PC I...

View more questions Search