Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maxcamino Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2003, 08:07 PM
    Packard Bell BIOS Upgrade
    I havea 1997 PB PL2220. Have maxed memory to 128mb, 48x16x48 burner, 56x CD ROM, 8.4 G WD HDD with ATA66 (PCI card added). Works good, but slow. I downloaded BIOS update for the 680 M. Board, but when I try to update, the program starts to configure the blank floppy disk, dos type script says "choice" is not a valid file or program & everything stops... even the oened instruction screen is gone. I want to install an AMD K6-3 400 processor I bought from Evergreen Tech, but first, the BIOS must be upgraded to 1.00.12.DNOR. Operating system is W-XP Pro.
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2003, 10:46 AM
    Check back where you got the BIOS upgrade for specific instructions on how to use it. I think you need to create a boot disk and run the program to copy the file to the disk. Then boot with the floppy and run the program to FLASH the BIOS.

Every BIOS flash utility I've seen needs to be run from DOS.
    joea3320 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2003, 12:12 PM
    If you go to the MSN group-www.windowsXP.nu and join there you will find all of the answers for this question and more. When you get up and running there are a whole section of tweaks and shortcuts for XP users. There may ba a PB lover in that sited who is informed of your issue.
    maxcamino Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2003, 11:32 PM
    Thanks friends. I accidentally figured out the problem. I was frustrated & held down the enter key... several identical message boxes appeared (cascaded). Message: "Windows XP cannot run 16 bit applications". So... I downloaded the bios upgrade on a Windows Me computer at work, expanded it, copied to floppy, brought home to PB & everything worked perfect. Took about one minute. The upgrade opens in DOS, upon boot with the floppy in drive A. :P then easy to follow instructions. I have installed the bios upgrade, then a Mr. Bios upgrade from Evergreen, then the AMD K-6 400 (spectra) CPU. The difference is quite a bit of speed, everything works faster & I don't get kicked off AOL every 5 ninutes anymore (XP does require at least a 233 Mh processor).
    Thanks again. I got a new wrinkle in my brain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bell Trap [ 9 Answers ]

Can someone explain what a bell trap is? I have in my older home what I think are metal bell traps. Grate has a bell shaped cup that goes over drain. Is the theory that a small amount of water lays in the drain sealing the bell to drain and sewer smell out, but still allows water to drain off the...

Packard Bell Diamond 1200 plus flat bed scanner [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have one of the above scanners. Since I upgraded to Windows Xp Pro I cannot get it to scan. When I look in System Manager it says that the scanner is installed OK and the icon shows on the My Computer screen Is this a problem with my scanner or my USB installation? Anybody any ideas or...

Saved By The Bell Trivia? [ 9 Answers ]

Haven't seen the show in ages but still remember episodes like yesterday. O.K. on with the trivia. 1. What actress played Schreeche's girlfriend Violet? 2. What was the name of the high school they all went to? 3. What was the Song Jessie Spanno sang in her room while she was addicted to...

Door Bell Ringer [ 5 Answers ]

I move to this House, and the door bell sound more like a alarm than a door bell( is extremely loud and irritating). The ringer brand is bticino (model 382321 made in Italy). I been looking to change this one to a more easy to listen chime or bell. But everything I found is an external bell box....

Packard bell diamond 1200 plus scanner won't install [ 15 Answers ]

Hi I have a Packard bell diamond 1200 scanner plus and when I tried to install it the other day it said it couldn't verify it certificate and continuing with the installation could destabilize and impar my computer, the thing is that I installed it before and its worked fine but I don't know why it...

View more questions Search