Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AgentScribe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2009, 05:21 PM
    Where should I put my AC handler?
    Quick search revealed no posts on this specific question. If it has been asked and answered, please direct me to the thread.

Just bough a fixer upper in Central Florida. I am replacing my AC unit and am receiving conflicting advice/opinions from experts.

The guy who won the bid to put in my AC unit wants to keep the handler in the attic, which rests over the line between the kitchen/living room, however a wall that was there has been removed and will not be replaced.

Our demo guy, who has 30 years construction/contracting experience and is now semi-retired is adamant that the handler be relocated to our garage.

With the amount of work we are doing, now is the time to do the AC, the question I have is where to put the handler.

One concern is overflow of the condensation collection pan despite the overflow float. Also, will the heat of the attic diminish the handler's efficiency relative to the garage?

Is one better than the other and why?

Thank you in advance.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 06:23 PM

Every home is different, but the attic is usually a good place for it because it takes no space away from either a garage or closet, first let me say that I hang all furnaces and air handlers from the roof rafters to get rid of vibration, get it high enough to provide good fall to the drain line and always provide a secondary drain pan with a separate drain line for safety. As far as efficiency is concerned, you would not have any difference if in both cases the duct is in the attic.I hang these with 3/8 " althread and unistrut, very strong.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 06:24 PM

I would say your move would all depend on the distance from where the airhandler is now to the garage and the way the duct is ran.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 06:45 PM
    I found it helps and works better when you keep the air handler closest to the center of the house that you can, it helps to make the air flow more even. Rather than having to blow air 45 feet to your longest supply run and your closest at 5 feet. Depends on how much retrofit you want to do.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 14, 2009, 06:52 PM

I say keep it in the attic. Let the hvac guys do their things, and let the carpenters do theirs. A lot of general contractors don't know much about what actually goes into a heating and cooling design. This should be the ac contractors call, and if they are leaving it up to you, I would be on the ac contractors side when it comes to any thing ac related. Good luck and let us know what you decide and how things work out.
    YoshiMon Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2009, 03:47 PM

Just another point and I'm not a HVAC guy just someone who has lived in Fla for a long time. Keep in mind the fact that any unit in the garage will be subjected to the outdoor Florida air much more than one that would be located elsewhere.

Now it's not as bad in CFL but still. The humidity gets pretty intense during the middle of the summers here. And even with the protection that a garage offers it's not the same as something that is truly indoors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air handler [ 4 Answers ]

My, carrier indoor air handler keep shorting out low voltage transformers. I've replaced 2 of them, the system will run for about 5 hrs. before it shorts out. ...

Air Handler [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Trane heat pump and air handler. When I select heat, the blower does NOT run, but the outside unit fan turns very slow and the breaker trips. Do I have a problem with the handler blower or the outside unit? Should the handler blower run when the thermostat is selected to "ON" regardless...

Air Handler [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Fl and my heat pump is outside and the air handler is in the attic. I discovered the tray under the air handler was overflowing and used a wet vac to remove it. My ceiling is getting wetter and wetter in an area about 1x2 feet. I've removed the insulation where the water is and can't...

Air handler [ 1 Answers ]

I have a heat pump. When the air conditioner comes on it sounds normal then after a few seconds I hear like a swooshing noise coming from the air handler in the attic. It makes the noise then stops then few seconds later does it again.and keeps doing that every time.We had to have freon put in the...

Air handler [ 4 Answers ]

Our home inspection for the sale of our home specifies that "there is a small amount of growth starting on the paper located on the motor. Seller shall clean the paper and treat the unit with an anti microbial agent." Please tell me how to get into the air handler, and with what anti microbial...

View more questions Search