Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MORETROUBLE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2009, 02:55 PM
    Vacate a judgement renewal.
    My husband and I were sued in 1999 and a judgement was granted in the creditor's favor. The judgement included attorneys fees and the kitchen sink. This year, my husbands wages were garnished for this debt but prior to this, the creditor made no effort to collect that we're aware of. (We have moved 4 times since 1999 but have been at our current address for 4 years. So if he did try, we were unaware.) Now that statute of limitations is almost up, here he pops up to garnish our wages and has filed a motion to renew the judgment for an additional 10 years.

Is there any legal leg for us to stand on to vacate this? Because with the renewal, the order amount will double! That's not fair! We don't mind paying what we owe - which is only a fraction of the original order but it infuriates us to think that he's going to collect a lot more than is due him. In addition, his new attorney is adding his fees into the mix. Is it legal for him to do that? Isn't he only allowed to collect the judgement amount plus interest? What if he gets 10 more lawyers -- do we have to pay them too?

I only have 3 weeks to file a request to vacate and any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 14, 2009, 06:46 PM

No, you have no legal grounds to vacate. It would appear you knew about the Judgment and did nothing. There is nothing that says the Judgment can't be renewed and enforced.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 14, 2009, 08:27 PM

As long as the creditor can show the court there is reason to believe they can now collect they will get to renew it. Sounds like you needed to start making payments in 99 and perhaps this would not have happened.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I would like to file a motion to vacate a renewal of judgement [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to file a motion to vacate a renewal of judgement. It is from California and I live in Florida. Do I need an attorney or can I file this myself? Where do I get the proper docuemts and where can I obtain the education to file properly? The judgemnt comes from a suit that I should...

Trying to vacate a judgement [ 3 Answers ]

Can an arbitrator rule against a claimant if the defendant has already been placed with a default judgement. Will he rule in favor of the defendant for vacating the judgement even with the facts presented from the claimant

California Form - Motion to Vacate to Modify Renewal of Judgment [ 2 Answers ]

I have been served in California with a Notice of Renewal of Judgment under the 10 year rule. I want to object to this renewal, and make a motion to vacate or modify the renewal with the court. What form do I use to make that motion?

Vacate a judgement [ 4 Answers ]

I need to explore the options of vacating one of my two petit theft convictions. What are the chances to vacate the last one from 01/23/07? What are the legal requirements?

View more questions Search