Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shawbecca Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2009, 01:27 PM
    Can A Debt Collector Seize Your Bank Acct. in Texas?
    I have an elderly neighbor who is widowed and is 80 years old. He seems to feel his only recourse on a credit card debt (approximately $20,000 from what he tells me) is bankruptcy, and went to see an attorney yesterday who tells him that the collection agency CAN seize any monies in his bank account and that he should pull all of his money except about $100.00 out of the account. The attorney told him they CANNOT take his home OR car. The attorney is charging him $1,500.00, plus tells him he needs to take 2 classes at $150.00 each. He also told my neighbor that he, the attorney, HAS to be paid in cash for his services. I find this somewhat disturbing; however, at his age he tends to listen to those in "authority" and I'm afraid he is going to be taken advantage of, as he is scared of collection agencies coming after him and taking what little money he has. He lives on about $1,200/month social security and that's it! He has no retirement, no 401K, etc. Any advice you can give would be most appreciated.

Regards,
    A concerned neighbor
    MPIfounder Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2009, 02:45 PM

There are many organizations that will file a bankruptcy for a small fee, and may require more work by the person filling, as opposed to a lawyer doing all the work. For a credit card debt there is nothing that they can take (home, car, and so on) for the card holder. The best thing aside from filling banko would be to work out a "hardship" arrangement with the creditors, or even a consolidation loan so that he is only being charged one interest rate. If he has anyone that can give him a personal loan he can also seek settlements from the creditors to be done with it, and save a little money in the long run.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Texas debt collector laws [ 2 Answers ]

I defaulted on my credit cards when the rates were raised (doubled to 30 %) and they now have sold the debts. (this in texas) I have avoided answering the phone to them because I fear they will just get more aggressive. In latest phone message, the guy said he was ready to use Texas law. I...

Can Debt Collector Garnish Husband Wages For wife's Debt [ 3 Answers ]

Prior to even meeting my husband I inccured a credit card debt which I have since defaulted on. I just recently received a summons in response to this debt and am unable to pay the amount in full. Are they able to garnish my husbands check for a my debt as that I am a homemaker with no income?

How long after debt can a company seize your bank account? [ 3 Answers ]

My Parents had their bank account seized yesterday. They think that it is an old debt from over 20 years ago. They think that it was a car that my Grandfather co signed for. Even though they have nothing to do with the agreement that my Grandfather made, the judgment is against them because my...

Debt collection, bank acct seizure [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend/fiance just had his account seized for a past debt. We obviously don't want his paycheck going in there again, so can he have his money deposited into my account?(different names completely, same address)? Can they seize my accout to get his money if we are not married? Should he...

Why the debt collector wants copy of bank accounts is it safe to give them pay stubs [ 3 Answers ]

I have a joint account with my dad and our bank account savings and checking is frozen my dad is the debtor the only income my dad has is his pension check and ss check. The collector has put a lien on the account and is requesting his pay stub from ss and copy of his pension check, is it safe to...

View more questions Search