Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gigglebite Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2006, 12:46 PM
    Engine Check Light
    I have a 96 Dodge Neon.

Engine Check light came on. I had someone from Autozone check it using some sort of scan tool. Code said it is Cylinder #1 misfire.

After the scan test. Engine Check Light came off. Does it mean it is fixed or it was reset?

What could cause it to Cylnder #1 misfire? Spark Plug look OK.

Ever since this. It is eating a lot more gas.
    pic2007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Have you checked the spark plug gap? I had an identical problem with my 97 Accord that was corrected by shortening the gap. The condition of the plug wire is important also; older wires have higher resistance, so not as much power may be reaching the plug, also causing a misfire. Finally, is there a fuel odor on the plug? A strong smell of gasoline would confirm you're getting fuel to the cylinder, just no fire. Check engine lights don't reset themselves unless the problem was fixed, so I'll bet it was reset with the scan tool. Good luck.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2007, 04:37 PM
    OBDII vehicle engine control modules use a counter to measure misfires. If it doesn't see that count anymore, the ECM will ignor it and the light goes out. (but stored)
    It could be anything simple from a bad plug, to a burnt valve. But something is definitely wrong in #1.
    As I recall from working next to a Dodge dealership, that Neon's had many headgasket issues.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Check engine light flashing [ 6 Answers ]

Hello Guys , I have a serious problem with my car... its a honda accord 98 ex vtec engine , 4cyl manual gear . Recently my check engine light came on and now my light starts flashing on and off repeatedly . I don't know what actually is wrong with then today , I could hardly move instead the...

91' Ford Taurus check engine light [ 35 Answers ]

Last aug. had the distributor module fixed due to car stalling & then not starting. Upon picking-up my car the mechanic informed me that now the check engine light would always be on and at that time also asked if there was anything wrong w/the pollution control equipment and he said no there...

94 civic check engine light code #1 [ 2 Answers ]

I just put a new engine in my civic(I called honda to make sure it was the right one) and the check engine light is coming on with a code #1 which is oxygen sensor problem so I replaced it but it is still on and when the car idols it goes high to low rpms.

Check Engine Light 91 Taurus [ 1 Answers ]

My check engine light pops on after car runs for about 10-15 minutes. Just replaced power steering hoses, which I removed the air filter assy. Checked connectors and wiring, everything seems tight. My concern is an electrical plug on the old P/S hose I removed. The new hose does not have this, I...

89 honda accord check engine light [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a 89 Honda Accord LXI, check engine light is on, idles rough, then after shut off it won't re start for about 15min, and I smell a really strong gas smell, it turns over but won't start Thanks for any help

View more questions Search