Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CoolKid101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2009, 10:52 AM
    Braces Retainer. Wire behind teeth or clear plastic?
    I got my braces taken off today from the top and bottom teeth.
    I have to go back in a weeks time to get a clear plastic retainer on both bottom and top teeth as prescribe from my dentist.
    My friend told me that it is better to ask the dentist to put a thin wire behind my four main teeth which will stop them splitting after about 15 years.
    My teeth were fine before braces apart from an overlap on my front two teeth and that is why i needed them.
    Do i really need a wire on my four main teeth?
    Thankyou for your time :) much appreciated.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 12:00 PM

You definitley need some kind of retention or your teeth will soon move back to where they started. A wire cemented in is very common for the lower front teeth. Sometimes the upper teeth can have a wire too but it depends on how your top and bottom teeth come together when you bite. You should talk to your orthodontist about this right away before he has the plastic retainers made.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do you always have to wear a metal retainer after braces? [ 13 Answers ]

I always knew that I would have to wear a retainer once my braces were off, but I was under the impression that a retainer was clear. I seen pictures of retainers and a lot of people had like a metal wire going across their top teeth. Does it make a difference if it's metal or clear? And can I wear...

Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fan Plastic Retainer Clip [ 3 Answers ]

Had to remove Ceiling Fan, Cheshire model - Harbor Breeze-Hampton Bay manufactured (I believe) Litex. The mounting screws securing the outlet box stripped out of the support member allowing fan assembly to fall from ceiling, hanging by only the power supply line. (previous home-owner had used too...

Bad Orthodontist, Teeth still messed up after braces! [ 23 Answers ]

I am an adult and had braces for 2 yrs and 3 months. My top teeth were straight but my bottoms were a little crooked plus I had an extra tooth on the bottom. Also I had a slight underbite. I went to 3 ortho's before I choose him. All of which told me I would have to have jaw surgery. Hes the...

Retainer after having braces [ 3 Answers ]

I got my braces off a few days ago (finally) but now I have to wear this retainer thing which is worse than the braces! It has a wire that goes around the front few teeth and it has a plastic part behind the teeth, I can take it out whenever I want to. I hate it because it causes me to have a lisp...

View more questions Search