Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Manial Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2006, 08:33 AM
    Shared Driveway
    We live in Maryland on a shared roadway/driveway--our house is at the very front of the property. There are 6 other residents on the road. We are having a disagreement regarding how the cost of repairing the road should be shared. Because we only have acess to 50% of the road, we think that we should only pay 1/7 of 50% of the cost of repair. Of course, our neighbors, particularly those in the back, disagree. We do not have any attached maintenance agreement to our deed and are not a part of a subdivision, although the developer had originally designated as such, he never recorded it in the county records. So, my question: is there some sort of implied law regarding how maintenance costs for shared private drives are to be divided or is it purely negotiable?

Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 28, 2006, 08:44 AM
    I'm not sure of the law here, but if this is a private road, then each homeowner that uses that road, in any part, should pay an equal share in its maintenance. Whether there is law to that effect or not, I think that is both the ethical and neighborly thing to do.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Sep 28, 2006, 01:27 PM
    Shared road agreement should be shared equally among the residents on the road. Otherwise, you maintain the area in front of your residence and let the others maintain theirs - of course, the other 6 residents get to use your portion to access their homes so paying 1/7 of the entire costs make sense from your standpoint.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 28, 2006, 04:32 PM
    On a shared road the custom is that all costs are split equally among the uses. This can often be done informally or though an association,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil on asphalt driveway [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to remove oil of a leaky car from my asphalt driveway?

Driveway [ 3 Answers ]

I made a verbal agreement with someone who was supposed to dump some dirt on my property. I clearly stated that my driveway would only handle the weight of a 1-ton dump truck. I come to find out that this guy used a single axle or 10-ton dump truck to haul this dirt. The weight of the truck...

Asphalting Driveway [ 2 Answers ]

We are looking at asphalting our driveway and have received quotes anywhere from $700 - $2000. The driveway is dirt and some gravel, and the higher quote includes excavation and 10" of gravel, plus 2.5" of asphalt. The cheaper quote is a few inches of gravel (~4") and 2.5" of asphalt, compacted to...

Asphalt Driveway Resurface [ 5 Answers ]

Our existing asphalt driveway is 21 years old and looks it. We were going to replace it with concrete, but with quotes coming in at around $5K to $6K, when I stopped crying I realized resurfacing the asphalt is the wise choice. The driveway is 25' long by 17' wide. It does have a puddling...

Driveway work [ 1 Answers ]

I live on a gravel road and have a circular gravel driveway. One side of my circle has so much weed coming through, and is considerably lower than the other side of the circle, so I plan to put more gravel on it this week. A friend mentioned that I should consider laying the weed stopper sheets...

View more questions Search