Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    junemommy Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

May 13, 2009, 02:17 PM
    Removing a chain link fence
    We are getting ready for a new fence and have decided to remove our old chain link fence ourselves to save the $400 that the fence companies charge for this chore. The only problem is that I have no idea how to do it. Anyone have any good advice?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 13, 2009, 02:19 PM

The chain link is anchored in cement, each post mind you, at least that is the way I know it to be done. You have to dig up each post and pull it out with the cement attached. Not an easy job. If you were quoted $400, I think you are getting off easy. How long is the fence ?

Tick
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 02:19 PM

I just had mine removed and replaced - first, they snipped all the ties that held the "mesh" to the fenceposts and top rail. Then they cut the fence at every other post and rolled it up into those sections.

Then they used a machine to pull out the posts.

(I would not spend that kind of time and effort to save $400 - it was a bear of a job.)
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 02:27 PM
    I agree with the above posts...

In that you must snip the wires that connect the mesh to the posts.

As for removal... id do this myself.

A lot of cursing. Some drinking. Some exploitation of physics and vectors and leverage arms.

Pulling cemented posts isn't fun. Then again... call me a cheapskate, but a weekend of hard work is worth $400 to me.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 13, 2009, 03:18 PM

Plus for $400 I bet they fill in the hoes, write the check and be happy about it. This job sucks the life out of you. Fence fabric weight hundreds of lbs and they haul it for you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Plus for $400 I bet they fill in the hoes, write the check and be happy about it. This job sucks the life out of you. Fence fabric weight hundreds of lbs and they haul it for you.

PLUS - my local garbage collection company wouldn't dispose of the fabric and I had to pay extra to have it - and the posts - carted away!

May 13, 2009, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    The chain link is anchored in cement, each post mind you, at least that is the way I know it to be done. You have to dig up each post and pull it out with the cement attached. Not an easy job. If you were quoted $400, I think you are getting off easy. How long is the fence ?

tick
    It's 188 feet. $400 is actually the highest quoted price for the removal. They ranged from $180-400. Of course the company we've decided on is the $400 for removal.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 04:33 PM
    I again agree... its heavy work thatll scratch you to bits.

I'm still a cheapskate.

And you'll be shocked to see what work people will do for you for free if you advertise on craigslist.

Got a person coming over the next three days to remove about 10 tons of river rock. They get it for free. I get to see it go bye bye.

May 13, 2009, 04:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    If I had the $400 to spend I would, but I don't. The new fence is entirely outside the budget but the chain link is falling apart and I have the safety of my little ones to consider. And my neighbors are scrappers so the 19 year old boys said they would pitch in and help with the labor if they could take the fence to the scrap yard.

May 13, 2009, 04:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171 View Post
    i again agree... its heavy work thatll scratch you to bits.

im still a cheapskate.

and youll be shocked to see what work people will do for you for free if you advertise on craigslist.

got a person coming over the next three days to remove about 10 tons of river rock. they get it for free. i get to see it go bye bye.
    I thought about putting it on craigslist. My concern is that someone would come and tear the yard to shreds taking it out. But I haven't completely ruled out the possibility yet.
    LuckyMe777 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2009, 04:58 PM
    The brief answer is snip and roll. Post the chain link and poles on Craigslist. You might be able to sell or give it away and they would come pick it up. That would also save you the cost of disposal.

A good pair of bolt cutters should work well for the task. 10' lengths are manageable.
    The hard part is removing the posts. There usually isn't as much concrete around the posts as you might think. Soaking the ground around the posts will help to soften the soil around the concrete footing. Forcefully move the poles back and forth and around until they can be removed. We have a long steel pole (called a hole digger) that we used as a lever to get underneath the concrete and lift it out.

If there are any posts you simply can't get out without equipment, ask the fencing company to do them. $20 a pole would probably be more than fair.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 08:54 PM

Well for the poles. You basically dig to one side and pull the pole down into the hole you dug. That won't be too hard.

Now take a hammer drill or small electric jack hammer and remove the cement.

Collect pole and chunks of cement and dispose of them.

Fill in hole with soil.
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

May 14, 2009, 12:02 AM
    I removed one myself, it wasn't so bad.

You need a good pair of wire cutters (I'm an electrician, so I have several) and a hack saw. You also need a pickup truck to haul the stuff away.

Cut the wires that hold the chain links to the posts and let the chain link fall flat on the ground. Then roll it up. When the roll gets too big to handle, cut it with the wire cutters.

Then remove the top bar. Cut it into manageable size pieces with the hacksaw.

If you are replacing the posts, lever them from the top to loosen the cement bases, and pull them out. It's not really that hard. Cut the posts just above the cement.

You can take all the metal parts to the junkyard, and sell them for scrap. (I got $6 for about 100 feet)

The cement bases can be buried, or taken to the landfill.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Steps to remove a chain link fence [ 3 Answers ]

What steps do I need to take to remove a chain link fence? There's only one side left. Do I cut the wires between the posts? There are vines and briars and trees growing through the fence? Thanks!

Chain Link Fence Gate [ 3 Answers ]

We need to build some sort of gate to keep our dogs in. The best idea was a swinging chainlink gate on a wheel. The space we are gating , we need to access ir for cars as well. We had a estimate from a contracto and it was outrageous. I saw some 100 feet of used chainlink with a few posts for $75....

How do I re-paint an old aluminum fence (not chain link)? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a black aluminum pool fence that is about ten years old. It is looking very tired, faded and worn. Rather than spend the money to replace the entire fence I would like to repaint it. I have contacted the manufacturer (elite) and they informed me that they only sell touch up paint and that no...

Remove a chain link fence [ 4 Answers ]

We are removing a chain link fence. Should we leave the concrete in the ground? If no, how do we get it out?

View more questions Search