Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ceia Exum Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2009, 01:31 PM
    I'm totally lost
    I need help with inequalities, slopes, & linear lines.
    Please refresh my memory. I need serious help. End Of Grade Testing is coming soon.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 02:29 PM

On your other post, I showed you that the equation for a line is Y=mX + b. You should memorize that!

If the slope is 0 (m=0), the line is simply Y=b and is horizontal. A vertical line is not a function of Y. It's something like X=17 (see, no Y!)

If the slope is not zero, they for any value of X, you can calculate a value of Y. For example here's a line, Y=3X+7. If X=1 then Y=10. If X=2 then Y=13. Here's a special case: if X=0, Y=7. That's why "b" is the "Y-intercept". It's the value of "X" when X=0. It's the place where the line crosses the Y-axis (and where the value of X is zero).

The slope is the change in Y divided by the change in X when going from any two points.

That's why they call it the slope.

There's not much more to it than that. You just have to think clearly.

As for inequalities, they're just like regular equations unless you multiply or divide by a negative number. Also, remember that if you have an equation like "Y < mX + b" or "y > mX + b", you can graph the line but the inequality lies on one side of the line or the other. The line, itself, is not included.

If the equation had been or , the values that fulfill the inequality would include the line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Totally lost of what to do with son 16 [ 7 Answers ]

HI This is my first post, apart from my introduction, so here goes, ith a bit of back ground history. My ex husband and I divorced 13 years ago and our son, aged 6 at the time decided he wanted to live with his dad, after much soul searching I let him go,(son was diagnosed being of high iq at...

Totally Confused And Lost [ 7 Answers ]

I Asked My Question In The Wrong Place Before So I Guess I Will Start Over. My Boyfriend Is A Great Guy. Fun, Caring , Loving And Extremely Romantic. But There Is The Not So Great Side, That Side Of Him We Call "jj" For Jack Daniels Junior. My Man Drinks A Fifth Of Jack Daniels Everyday When He...

I'm Totally Lost! [ 2 Answers ]

I have windows media player and I've been using it to burn cd's for about a year now. More recently it won't burn anything, in fact the computer doesn't even recognize the fact that a blank cd has been inserted. At first I thought is was the cd(maybe it was defective) so I've bought others twice...

Totally lost, help [ 8 Answers ]

I have been dating this girl now for about 2 years. To be honest, it has been the longest relationship I have ever had. And I could really see us being together for a long time. We have so much in common, and we got along great as friends at first. And we moved on to be in a relationship together. ...

View more questions Search