Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Antoine7768 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2009, 09:09 AM
    antique inkwell or hair receiver?
    I have what I think is an antique ceramic inkwell or hair receiver. It is marked HALGA on the bottom and FRANCE. It appears to be Limoges. Confirmation of what it is and guess at value would be much appreciated. See Pics and thanks for your interest.
    Attached Images

ruthmarx Posts: 41, Reputation: 10

May 13, 2009, 11:45 AM

Because of the small holes on the side, I would venture 'ink well'.

May 13, 2009, 12:09 PM
    Thanks very much for the quick reply Ruth. I thought that it might be an inkwell for the same reasons that you did, although someone suggested that the small holes may have been for hair pins in a hair receiver.
    Assumiong it is an inkwell, do you think it probably is missing its top? When you look at the wear marks around the mail hole it suggests that something like a ceramic top with a rough base may have been present. What do you think? Ruth , do you have any idea of what the value might be? Looking at other Limoges pieces marked "Halga" it is probably Victorian , circa 1900? Not sure what to ask for it. Thanks for your help, Antoine,

May 13, 2009, 12:33 PM
    I have a limoge set that includes a hair receiver and there aren't any holes for pin, etc. There are other boxes for those items. I wondered about the top, too. Most of the ink well that I've seen have a top. But they are usually hinged and from your photos, there's no damage or hinge evidence. I'm thinking - and this is pure amateur - that this is a less expensive ink well for a more modest buyer and there is no top. Bic vs Monte Blanc of the 1900's.
    As far as value, haven't a clue. Sorry.

May 13, 2009, 12:36 PM
    Oh, I think the wear marks are from where the fingers rubbed against the top when tightening the ink lid. I'm pretty sure the ink well actually sat inside the large hole.
    Good luck!

May 13, 2009, 02:46 PM

Hi Ruth
    Thanks again for the prompt follow-up. Thanks to you I am now firmly in the inkwell camp on this item. It would be good to look at other limoges ceramic inkwells and see if I can get further insight into top or no top. I think a small glass ink bottle with a shoulder so that it sits on the rim of the large hole is very plausible. No top is a bit of a stretch since it would not take long for the ink to evaporate. I am going to Google a few reference sites on limoges ink wells and see if I can more info. Thanks so much . You have beern very helpful. Regards, Antoine
    palude Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 12:55 PM
    It is certainly an inkwell. I own several specimens of this type. See also on google/images under "inkwell"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Receiver reads dc out [ 1 Answers ]

I have a pioneer vsx-108 surround sound receiver it has a passive subwoofer non powered and it reads dc out on the display I have no sound period

Antique mourning jewelry with deceased hair in them [ 1 Answers ]

I love the little antique pins/lockets for reuse, but I hesitate to purchase them , because I worry it is disrespectful, or spiritually unwise to disturb the contents, for fear of spirits and haunting. Although this custom is 150 yrs old and outdated, the jewelry themselves is lovely, but the...

Adding an amp to av receiver [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I have a yamaha rxv1000 that's hooked up for home theater in TV room on A and 2 speakers in Living room on B. I wanted to extend the sound to back yard, so I used a yamaha dsp a1000 to hook up outdoor speakers. I ran from the rxv1000 preamp main out to an audio input... CD on the a1000, I...

Receiver [ 1 Answers ]

I've got a second question also : I am intended to buy a new receiver as well. But.. I have two pairs of speakers in my living room and one pair in my kitchen. This receiver should be connected to these three pairs of speakers. This seems to be rather difficult. How should I proceed and wich...

View more questions Search