Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mnmkids Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 05:07 PM
    Anti siphon/auto fill/pressure vacuum breaker noises & rattling
    We have a Korky one-piece anti siphon valve (#528) that auto fills our swimming pool. At the hose bib, we have a pressure vacuum breaker (with a black mushroom-type top on it). We have cartridge pool filters, which I recently cleaned and reclamped the cover. Finally, we have a Baracuda cleaner in the pool. We have been getting a loud, sustained rattle at the pressure vacuum breaker, which then echos throughout the house. We have been trying to figure out where/why for months, as in addition to this sound, air is constantly getting in the pool pipes. When I release the air pressure valve on top of the pool filter, lots of air is released prior to the water. I finally figured out that (somehow) air is gurgling into the filter. In addition, every time the auto fill starts working in the pool (when the water is low), the Korky anti siphon valve shakes, as does the pressure vacuum breaker. We've had a plumber out and they put on a new pressure vacuum breaker and new pvc configuration coming into it, but the problem is worse than ever. The plumber (and our home warranty company) say they will not fix it because it is an anti siphon problem, not covered any more. I unscrewed the Korky, but it appears to be fine. Help!
    paulgoldammer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2010, 01:51 PM

I think I have the same problem, and we also have a pool that I think has been getting air in it somehow somewhere. And the pool might have an auto-fill device, because I've never had to add water to it. We just bought the house, so haven't lived here long (about 2 weeks). Have you figured out what the problem & solution are? What is it?
    paulgoldammer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2010, 01:53 PM

The rattling is definitely a problem, and very annoying. Something we need to fix. I did discover that by turning the valve 90 degrees at the vacuum breaker/hose bib, the rattling stops, but I don't want to leave it this way, because I feel it might damage something.
    Sderekr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2010, 06:05 AM
    Hi , saw your post, I'm about to switch out a pressure vacuum bib, (it has been leaking and the entire piece is rusted and corroded). I have a pool so the pressure breaker will regulate water level in the pool along with not having water shoot out of the valve where my garden hose is every time we run cold water or flush. Did you find the cause of the rattling? I had pipes from my irrigation valves that would rattle whenever I turn them off. The turn off level (for water flow) was placed vertically coming from the ground. I cut the pvc pipes and installed new pvc pipe with the shut off valve placed horizontally. Those pipes no longer rattle. You may have an air vs. Water pressure issue. Either gravity,air and water pressure are all fighting each other or ghosts are screwing with you. Anyhow , unsure you solved your problems but thought I might add something I went through to help the cause.
    VTAK Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2013, 04:25 PM
    Hello. I have the same problem. Did you ever find a fix?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anti Siphon Hose bib [ 11 Answers ]

I am presently purchasing a home built in 2001. It looks as though I have anti siphon hose bibs, but nothing like I have read being explained by others. This bib seems to have a bronze cap that is added to the bib with holes around the rim where the hose connects. There is a spring and rubber...

Anti-siphon valves at different elevations [ 5 Answers ]

(this has been moved by me from another thread here) If you have 2 valves in different places at different elevations, is it true that each valve only needs to be higher than the highest sprinkler that it services? I would like to split the supply line and service 2 different areas. Its...

Watts anti siphon hose bib (outside) [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I find the anti siphon replacement parts for Watts anti siphon hose bib. The handle has FHB-2 on it but no one in this area has any idea where to get it.

FEBCO pressure vacuum breaker repair kit [ 2 Answers ]

It seems the kit(#905211) to repair a FEBCO pressure vacuum breaker includes an extra O-ring, is this true or am I not assembling it correctly. Thanks for your help!

View more questions Search