Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheRoch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2003, 10:04 PM
    XP reboot
    Hi!
    I have this problem for over 2 weeks now.
    I own a pentium4 1.5mhz 512mb of ram and a 40gig hard drive with WinXP Home Ed.
    The probem is that it reboots by itself anytime it feels like it, an average of twice on 4hrs of usage.
    Sometimes it comes back to my desktop and sometimes it will give me a message "System halted Boot failure" at the prompt.When it gives me this message I have to cold boot to get it going again.
    Would you have any idea of what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.
    Roch
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Apr 6, 2003, 05:45 PM
    A few ideas...
    Seeing as you don't have any replies for this, I'll do the best I can to help.

I can't give you an exact answer, but I can give you a few things to try...
    This problem could be caused by lots of different things, a bad power supply, bad hardware, bad software...

Here are a few ideas:

If it reboots after a hour or two of inactivity, it might be power management that is not working. Try right click on desktop-->display-->screensaver tab-->power button.
    Now set the options for Turn of hard disks, standby, and hibernate to "never." This might help.

It might be the OS, or bad software... there is also a possibility it could be a virus, be sure to run a virus scan, there is a free scanner at symantec's website that can quickly check your hard drive.
    On a similar note, try scandisk.

There are many things that can cause these problems. Some more information might help. Do you remember the last thing that happened before the problem started? Anything weird? How long have you had the computer? Has this ever happened before?

The system halted boot failure might represent a hardware problem... hopefully not.

Maybe this will set you in the right direction...

Good luck,
    ~psi42

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PC Reboot Randomly by itself [ 7 Answers ]

Hello Guys, I have a problenm with my machine. I have Asus MotherBoard with P4 1.7 CPU, 1 G DDR Ram , 64 MB All in WOnder ATI Radeon 8500 DV, Audigy Sound blaster Platinum , D Link Fax Modem , USB Hub , DLink Network Card. My Problem is that while working on Windows XP or 2000 Pro , the system will...

Reboot PC [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I have p4. It is working slow last few days. I ask some expert he said it might have virus problem and he advice me to reboot system. I don't know how to reboot and what to do after that. Anyone please help me that Thank you in advance

Reboot PC [ 3 Answers ]

::) I just got Hp Brio ba PC. When I first pluged it in it booted up. When I shut down can't boot up. Twice I got it to boot up by unpluging it and pluging in again, pretty iffy. Any ideas for a fix? Thanks Jim. I didn't tell that I had pressed switch on front panel, Also checked switch &...

Reboot [ 1 Answers ]

My computer starts booting into Windows 2000 but won't go past the initial screen. I replaced the power supply and tried reinstalling the OS but it still won't boot into the OS. I have tried replacing the hard drive also and nothing doing. What should I do?

The system reboot automatically [ 1 Answers ]

The system reboot automatically when it runs in the window envirnoment, it has no problem when it runs in DOS mode. Therefore, I formatted the drive, and try to install win 2000 all over again on the system, the system has no problem when it runs in DOS mode, but when the system runs the welcome...

View more questions Search