Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mstehman88 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 02:16 PM
    2 equations used for calculating number of moles from a slope. What r the variables?
    I was given 2 equations to use for my hw.

Im suppose to use the slope to calculate the number of moles.

What do the variables R T and P stand for?

N = Moles I don't know what the others stand for though.

And help would be great.
    Attached Images

Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 12, 2009, 02:31 PM

this is just a derivation from the ideal gas formula: PV=nRT, where P is the pressure in Pa, V is the volume in m^3, n is the number of moles, R is the molar gas constant in J .K^-1.mol^-1, and T is the temperature in K.

without knowing what the axes are on your graph, and thus what the slope you're measuring is, I can't really help you further.
    mstehman88 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 06:07 PM
    Part 1 Is Volume vs Temp. The slope is 2.616 E-007 Temp is X and Volume is Y

Please let me know if this helps to continue the problem
    Attached Images

Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 12:59 AM

So replacing slope with V/T, we get n=PV/RT, rearraging we get back to PV=nRT.

I guess in your experiment you were keeping pressure constant? Just plug in the values for P and R.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Equations into variables [ 1 Answers ]

Solve the equation for y and then find the value of the y for the given x-value 5x+y=10 A.x=-2 b.x=3

Systems of equations with 3 variables [ 1 Answers ]

How do you solve systems of equations with 3 variables? And what if one of the equations only has 2 of the variables? Example: 1) 2x+3y-4z=20 2) 3x-2y+z=12 3) 5x-2z=4 Don't try to solve this one, I just made it up to give you an example.

Algebra-variables and equations [ 2 Answers ]

HELP! None of this makes sense. Can anyone give a general explanation of the following- 5(x+3) + (4x-7y) + (3x+2y) = 5x + 15 + 4x - 7y +3x + 2y =12x + 15 - 5y

Calculating slope and change in slope (Mathcad) [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have been using mathcad for a only a few weeks, so my knowledge of it is limited. I have a set of data points which I have created some polynomial and cubic splines on a graph. What I want to do is calculate the slopes and change in slope of the curves. Any help on a mathcad...

Linear Equations in two and three variables [ 1 Answers ]

I am supposed to write a word problem from day to day life that can be translated into a linear equation in two and another problem that can be translated into a linear equation in three variables.

View more questions Search