Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mick74 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 12:50 PM
    Fungi on zuchini plant
    I am in North Florida near the ocean. My first attempt at growing a small organic vegetable garden which I started in late March. It was doing great until a few days ago. I have a fungus on the zuchini leaves and also on the stems. I sprayed with hydrogen peroxide today. I am hoping that will help. Also, some of the leaves are turning dark, and I don't know if it is from fungus.

Also, I am getting holes in my Georgian collard greens. It is still okay, but hope it will not get any worse.

My string bean leaves are getting yellow and I added iron, hope that is okay to do.

I am trying to keep from using insecticides. Also, I am using an organic fertilizer from Home Depot. There are not any clear directions on package, so just guessing on amount.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

May 16, 2009, 07:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick74 View Post
    I am in North Florida near the ocean.
    See Q#4, then Q#2 for coastal gardening: UC Master Gardeners of Orange County Also: Lawn & Garden - UF/IFAS Extension: Solutions for Your Life For University of Florida / Gardening Solutions... Great Site!

My first attempt at growing a small organic vegetable garden which I started in late March. It was doing great until a few days ago. I have a fungus on the zuchini leaves and also on the stems. I sprayed with hydrogen peroxide today. I am hoping that will help. Also, some of the leaves are turning dark, and I don't know if it is from fungus.
    Don't think spray would hurt, safer bet would be plain water. For Moldy Zuchs: Mould -What do you know about mould, in the garden and on food? - Kitchen Gardeners

Also, I am getting holes in my Georgian collard greens. It is still okay, but hope it will not get any worse.
    For Holy Greens:
    Cole Crops | Entomology, at CAES | UGA

My string bean leaves are getting yellow and I added iron, hope that is okay to do.
    string bean leaves are getting yellow - Google Search Some yellowing is normal

I am trying to keep from using insecticides. Also, I am using an organic fertilizer from Home Depot. There are not any clear directions on package, so just guessing on amount.
    Check the name or for URL on the bag and Google it. The Mfg.Site should have more info.

A lot of this sounds like SeaSalt poisoning, I believe Q#4 at link above covers this. You will definitely have to change your gardening style with living near the ocean.
    But Hey! That's just part of the enjoyment of Gardening, right?

See Ya round the watering hole... KUXJ

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to clean fungi looking spot on the pool [ 5 Answers ]

I have lots of black spot that looks like fungi spots but probably alge, how do I clean those spots? Already filled in my water in the pool and the problem area is 9ft. Deep please help

Name my plant? [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a plant from ikea a few years ago, but I have no idea what it is. If it is what I suspect I want to use it for my cooking, but don't want to risk it. I took it my garden centre but the spotty 16 yr old didn't have a clue! It is potted inside, lived on my kitchen window sill,...

ID this plant [ 4 Answers ]

Please identify this plant: curly leaves http://farm1.static.flickr.com/209/496222110_2080669081_o.jpg

What should I plant . [ 3 Answers ]

I have a wonderful patch of empty dirt between my garage and sidewalk and don't know what to put there, last year I tried raspberry canes and blueberries but there wasn't enouph sun and they didn't produce any berries, It is in shade all the time, I was thinking of some pretty flowers and maybe a...

View more questions Search