Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 11:00 AM
    I've got the Topsy Turvy and the five gallon bucket ones, and they both are doing great! I've got mine hung up high, probably 8 feet up, to get them away from the deer on our property. The rest of our garden is inside of a 9 foot high electric fence. (The deer eat our azaleas in our front flower bed). I'm wondering how far down they grow too, but am pleased so far. I couldn't find the T-T ones quick enough, so I made them out of the buckets. I cut the hole like yours too, but I cut two holes on each bucket and am growing two plants in each one.Good luck and happy gardening!
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Jun 17, 2009, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    I've got everything labeled except for the UDT, so I'll check when I get home and report. I have 2 of each, so I'll be able to see if both have the leaf curl.:confused:
    It is not very well known, but the first acknowledged instance of a curly leaf tomato occurred in 1977. It has only been found in the determinate variety.
    The dwarf curly leaf tomato mutant -- Journal of Heredity

PDF photo of plant at bottom, it's a little hard to see:
    Notes: Additional studies with tomato mutant, curl -- Journal of Heredity

Well... Sunday at 1:45am edt, is the big day, Summer solstice.

Dates/Times to 2050 can be found here:
    NWS Indianapolis, IN

A discussion on why this happens, here:
    Earth's Seasons

Which can be found here:
    Naval Oceanography Portal

Quote Originally Posted by binx44 View Post
    :) but i am loving reading on how yours are going and the things that effect/affect (not sure exactally the right word) the plants and the reasons why
    Far be it from me to be a grammar notzi :rolleyes:, but I thought you would enjoy this... P.S... Check your rep.

How Does the Effect Affect You?
    Grammar Girl :: Effect Versus Affect

It's waay late, but I needed to organize the project. See Attacment.

I hope you don't mind me shortening your monikers to JD, and b44, You can call me anything, just not late for supper! :eek:

Thank You Both Ladies, You have made my day!

See Ya 'round the compost pile!
    KUXJ

P.P.S... I see we have a new correspondent. Welcome aboard jmjoseph or jj as the case may be. :)

P.P.P.S... Just Dahlia, I wanted to add to your rep also... But... I have to spread mine around first. :(
    Attached Images

Jun 17, 2009, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    I've got the Topsy Turvy and the five gallon bucket ones, and they both are doing great! I've got mine hung up high, probably 8 feet up, to get them away from the deer on our property. The rest of our garden is inside of a 9 foot high electric fence. (The deer eat our azaleas in our front flower bed).
    9' that is a large tract. :cool:
    I'm wondering how far down they grow too,
    I've had toms go 16' :eek: (Gotta love that barn yard dirt I got from a local farmer)

but am pleased so far. I couldn't find the T-T ones quick enough, so I made them out of the buckets. I cut the hole like yours too, but I cut two holes on each bucket and am growing two plants in each one.Good luck and happy gardening!
    Yes! Thank You, and the same for you. May your plow never touch a rock.

KUXJ
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 12:28 PM

I don't know what the big deal is about these 'upside down' tomatoe plants and as a gardener could care less about them. They sell them at our nurseries dirt cheap already in a plastic bag, with the tomatoe plants already started and growing. I don't buy them.

I had a farm for many years so know what is is like to plant MANY tomatoe plants of different varieties.

They are basically used by patio gardeners with no space to grow the in ground tomatoe plants.

One cannot get the good beefy beefsteak out of a tomatoe plant like this; so what's the point ?

Tick I M O
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 12:28 PM
    Can I be sent to Hawaii since I am the roving Botanist?:cool:
    I promise to search every where!:D
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 12:31 PM
    No, you can't go to Hawaii because you haven't passed GO yet, you have to go back to the boardwalk !

Hey, you and I posted simultaeosly, day ! How the heck are you anyway!

The tick

Jun 17, 2009, 02:38 PM
    Sure, you remember Rickenbacker Refrigerated Air Freight ~~~~~"Need Freight by Eight? Their headed that way, and they have an opening next Friday night.
    Ahh... Do you know how to use a parachute?

Hey tick! we're passing the hat for Just Dahlia, you have any spare change?

KUXJ
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 03:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    No, you can't go to Hawaii because you havent passed GO yet, you have to go back to the boardwalk !

Hey, you and i posted simultaeosly, day ! How the heck are you anyway !!

the tick
    That is just not right in sooo many ways! I've seen the boardwalk, want to go to Hawaii.

I'm doing good, been busy at home and too many complicated questions for my pea brain too answer correctly, even though I throw my 2 cents in occasionally.:D
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 04:29 PM
    Everybody has their own opinion about these. They can be used anywhere regardless of how much room you have, and ANY variety can be grown, even cucumbers. One huge draw is that you don't have to stake them. They do grow quicker too. I've got these and the basket style too. Oh well, good luck to all. Don't forget about the fried green tomato!
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 05:25 PM
    I've seen Petunias and all sorts of stuff grown in bags, but that was in Oregon. The had many holes all over (even on the sides) and was beautiful.:)
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 05:47 PM
    I had a lot of fun measuring these plants, I really need to get a life:eek:
    This is all from right to left. (think Hebrew)

33" x 1' Super Steak in ground all alone by the beans. No toms yet
    32" x 1'1" Early Girl w/toms. some leaf curl (slight)
    37 x 2'3" Early Girl w/toms
    32 x 2' Mamma Mia w/toms
    25' x 1 1/2' Mama Mia w/toms (in a pot) the one with the crazy leaf curl!
    27" x 10" UDT w/toms
    4' x 2' Big Beef w/toms (little curly) maybe dry:confused:
    Then a dwarf Tangerine tree
    3 1/2' x 2' Big Beef w/toms (has a little shade) behind a bunch of flowers
    4' x 2' Super Steak w/toms (has a little shade) behind a bunch of flowers
    4' x 2' San Francisco Fog w/toms in pot) think U-Turn and then almost in front of the UDT.

So... that's my line up:cool: I plan to make Salsa and eat raw. I bought a Monster Pressure Cooker on EBAY for half the price at the stores and am reading ALL the instructions, so nothing blows up.

I just love Tomatoes!:D Can't wait to see what happens.

Sorry, that was long!:rolleyes:
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 03:27 AM

Lol I was reading your project outline and I noticed.. I don't know how I missed this last time that you don't know how old we are lol... I'm 22 :D
    I didn't know there was a genetic mutation with tomato plants causing the weird leaf curl. I assumed maybe that with the big location difference maybe it was humidity or some insect that you KU didn't have at your location.

Out of all the plants do you think the hybreds are doing better gowing upside down, the other breeds/types or do you think they are all growing in equal quality (though I guess that might play a lot on variety)

Jun 18, 2009, 05:12 PM
    I had a lot of fun measuring these plants, I really need to get a life:eek:
    This is all from right to left. (think Hebrew)
    Nothing to be embarrassed about, You already have one and that's sharing this beautiful planet with those around you. It shows in your first few words; “I had a lot of fun”.
    Strange you should say right to left, To this day I usually read magazines from back to front

33" x 1' Super Steak in ground all alone by the beans. No toms yet
    32" x 1'1" Early Girl w/toms. some leaf curl (slight)
    37 x 2'3" Early Girl w/toms
    32 x 2' Mamma Mia w/toms
    25' x 1 1/2' Mama Mia w/toms (in a pot) the one with the crazy leaf curl!
    27" x 10" UDT w/toms
    4' x 2' Big Beef w/toms (little curly) maybe dry:confused:
    Then a dwarf Tangerine tree
    3 1/2' x 2' Big Beef w/toms (has a little shade) behind a bunch of flowers
    4' x 2' Super Steak w/toms (has a little shade) behind a bunch of flowers
    4' x 2' San Francisco Fog w/toms in pot) think U-Turn and then almost in front of the UDT.
    That's quite a list! I mentioned the curl on pg.4 Because of the unusual edge pattern. If you save seeds, it would be interesting to see if you could recreate that trait in next years crop. I offer this link for saving/storage.
    Saving Tomato Seeds - Seed Saving for Next Year's Tomato Crop

So... that's my line up:cool: I plan to make Salsa and eat raw. I bought a Monster Pressure Cooker on EBAY for half the price at the stores and am reading ALL the instructions, so nothing blows up.
    If it's a newer one they are pretty much fool-proof. When I borrow my Mom's I have to watch, sometimes the regulator will pop off. Its older than me. 58 this Aug.

I just love Tomatoes!:D Can't wait to see what happens.

Sorry, that was long!:rolleyes:
    Me too... Only as long as it needed to be.

For binx44:

lol i was reading your project outline and i noticed.. i dont know how i missed this last time that you dont know how old we are lol... I'm 22 :D
    Aww... Ya took all the mystery out. I didn't know what type of reaction I would get when I put that in there, besides, its not polite for a Gentleman to inquire of a Ladies age.
    I didnt know there was a genetic mutation with tomato plants causing the weird leaf curl. I assumed maybe that with the big location difference maybe it was humidity or some insect that you KU didnt have at your location.
    That's what I thought.. ”weird leaf curl” it really didn't look like a environment/pest/disease characteristic. I can't think of it now, but it reminded me of a type of pasta, JD can call it “Pasta Tom”. I hope she tries the seed for next year.

Out of all the plants do you think the hybreds are doing better gowing upside down, the other breeds/types or do you think they are all growing in equal quality (though i guess that might play alot on variety)
    Good question! At this point I would say equal.

Just Dahlia reported worse in comparison to hers... Standard UDT package.
    jmjoseph reported the same or better in comparison to mine... 5gal bucket.

That's why I said earlier 'bout my theory; The larger container is giving better results.

The TV ads might be right, the other day we were in the blue big box, and I saw a 3gal. Container with a tom plant in it that already had tennis ball size fruit. Normal orientation
    They may be able to do it, but only under GreenHouse conditions.

p.s... ”News from the Bucket” will be late tomorrow. I need to point my energies in a different direction.

KUXJ
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 06:10 PM
    I'll be 50 on Christmas Day!:eek::eek::eek:
    Actually I have no problem and am loving it:D

I am giving more water to the leaf curl ones, lets see what happens;)

Jun 18, 2009, 06:21 PM
    Let me be the first!. Nifty, Nifty, look who's...

That's the spirit!. K
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 07:38 PM

LOL 49 but 29 at heart I bet Dahlia :D
    K it might not be polite for a gentleman to ask a ladies age but its quite all right for a lady to just spit it out :D lol
    I hope she does try the same plant strain next year it would be neat to see if its genetic... It does seem like the bigger "bucket: is yielding better results and I do think that on TV they used a greenhouse personally have a good one everyone. I'm off for the weekend to meet my great aunt tomorrow, take the dog for his checkup anf run errands and I have a bbq on Sunday so I might not be around.. looking forward to more news Monday though if I don't get on sooner
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2009, 10:32 AM
    KU I read about saving the seeds and the pictures were so clear I swear I started smelling tomatoes:p

It all seems pretty easy, so as long as I remember and I get some good tomatoes I will try it. I have a small greenhouse I can start them in next year. Labeling 'Pasta Tom'

Have a nice weekend Binx:)

Jun 19, 2009, 07:12 PM
    June 19, 2009
    News from the Bucket...

BB's new progeny are doing well have 'bout doubled in size to 1¼” in a weeks time, and there is one more starting to push on the same stem.
    I've 'bout given up on the original fruit stem, it still looks healthy, but no fruit.

I'd have to check the growth record for last week I believe it was 38”vertical, but vertical this week is 46”, and horizontal is 34”. I have 17” to go before BB starts scraping the ground at which point I'll start draping him around the deck.
    With this being the pilot season, and no previous information to go on I do not know if 8” of growth in seven days can be normal or not.

The only change this week was the weather, not as much rain, and a tad more Sun.
    For once this season both reporting stations are in close agreement:
    BBX... 1.00” NWS 0.98”.
    Tonight into Sunday afternoon there is a system coming in from the Mid-West that could double that. Then seasonal the rest of the week. H81° L61°

Taken from the NWS:
    Saturday: Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain and frequent lightning. High near 81. Light wind becoming west between 13 and 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Hope it doesn't ruin Father's Day for any of you.

This week had a nice surprise, we had two new well, new to this thread Botanist's share their insight with us; jmjoseph, and tick.

jmjoseph, from that Great State of Georgia who's running his own version of the Ponderosa there. His garden is 'bout half the size of my property 70'x300'. And...

Tick, from that Great Country of Canada, from what I've been able to gather she has worked in Landscaping.
    I have to agree to a degree with ticks statement 'bout UDT's and all the fuss. That's what got me started the fuss. I do believe it can be a viable propagation method in some situations.

Welcome aboard jmjoseph, and Ms tick! Stop by anytime.

And, how can I ever forget the “better half” of the team. Just Dahlia, and binx44 and their insight.

JD... Change in plans.
    Eddie, the pilot from Rickenbacker Air Freight told me they Will be landing in Honolulu, you'll still have to wear the 'chute.

b44... Hope your trip was okay, we're planning a bbq Sunday too. Good question last time, really made me think.

See Ya round the compost pile

K

Edited:
    06-20-09 07:30am edt, Correcting a Social Blunder
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2009, 08:36 PM
    Have a great Fathers Day!:D

Jun 19, 2009, 09:10 PM
    Comments on this post:
    Just Dahlia agrees: I'm pretty sure Tick is a woman

:eek: Well then if that's true, a faux pas on my part! :o
    I fell into my own trap. I feel every time someone assumes, (i.e. me), They don't make an A** out of you, just the me part.
    If tick gets this in time, and I can still edit, I'll change the pronouns to ♀

Sooo...
    In the interest of International Harmony and Good Will. :)

To Tick:
    I humbly offer my deepest apologies.

And my Kindest Regards... KUXJ

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Growing Tomatoes [ 11 Answers ]

Last summer, my fiancé and I tried to grow some tomatoes and peppers. We were not very successful. Our tomatoes were so tiny. And hardly any peppers bloomed. Are we watering too much? Could it be the type of soil. Last year we had them in containers, this year we are hoping to grow them in...

Tomatoes are dying [ 6 Answers ]

My tomatoes plants are turning yellow starting from the ground and moving up. The leaves are yellow and curling. What is causing this and can they be saved. I water then at all different times but never after 6 p.m. I usually shower the entire plant. Also, one plant out of six is really bad...

Something eating my tomatoes [ 1 Answers ]

Something just started eating our tomatoes. We had several about to ripen, went out to pick today and most of them had been bitten into. I looked around and something had taken a bite out of half my maters.(Grrrrrrrrrr) Its not insects. There are areas where you can see teeth marks. I'm thinking,...

Cheap Tomatoes? What does this mean to you! [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure what my position is on this yet. But, I thought I would post it to spark a discussion and maybe help me formulate my opinion >From a California school teacher - - - "As you listen to the news about the student protests over illegal immigration, there are some things that you...

View more questions Search