Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2009, 02:38 PM
    It's really hard to tell! Has it changed much in the last week? Is it wilting more?:(
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

May 31, 2009, 08:14 PM
    Hi Just Dahlia! :)

If by change, you mean more diseased leaves, no, and I don't notice any wilt elsewhere on BB. At least not yet!

What I do notice though, is a preponderance of red mites, and very small 2 to 3 mm hard exoskeleton insects a primer gray color with dark spots, kind of remind me of potato weevils, but if I remember correctly they have stripes.
    No matter though, they all have sucking mouth parts. :eek:

I still feel it's related to all the rain we've been getting, once it slows down to once or twice a week instead of four or five days of drizzle/rain/downpour/drizzle/downpour/rain/rain... Well you get the idea... The health/growth will improve, and the insects will decrease.

Jun 5, 2009, 03:14 PM
    News from the Bucket:

I'll bet you'll never guess what its doing outside... awww... You guessed, yep its raining. :(
    I guess I shouldn't complain, you don't have to shovel rain.
    Rain for the week; Here 3.17 ~~~ NWS 1.96

Last Saturday to Tuesday night; Partly Sunny to Partly Cloudy.
    Wicked Thunderstorms Wednesday morning 01:25am edt, lasted to 02:10am edt
    Then Overcast to today. Light rain started this morning 00:20am edt, so far 1.13 ~~~ NWS 0.62.

It did dry up enough that I was able to cut grass on Thursday, knew 'bout the rain coming, and I wanted to get that elephant and his eye out'a the front lawn. The tires were running damp to wet, but the deck didn't clog too bad.
    Well, enough of that.

Been a quiet week at the bucket. Haven't seen any more of the leaf spot/canker, and the rest of BB looks healthy, he grew another 1” (29”), and on one set of fruit stalk the flowers are wilting to brown, I'm hoping to see fruit soon.

Oh... I saw one of those UDT TV ads for “Topsy turvy” today, I'm still wondering why the guy has his hand “in” the plant Like he's holding something, when he picks, and hands the girl a tomato. :confused:

See Ya 'round the compost pile!
    KUXJ
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 03:36 PM
    It's raining/thunderstormy here also. I have 1 baby tomato so far, but the plant doesn't look as good as the rest.

As soon as my guests leave I will pass along a picture of the baby SFF and the one I believe is growing better in a pot.
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2009, 02:54 PM
    Name:  tomatoes and golf 2009 050.jpg
Views: 2583
Size:  94.9 KB

Name:  tomatoes and golf 2009 051.jpg
Views: 2400
Size:  139.0 KBAttachment 20560

If I did this right, the first 2 pics are of UDT SFF (or mystery Tom)
    the second 2 are of the one in the pot (thinking it is the same plant)

The tom in the pot is 3 times the size of the one in UDT, but the plant is also 3X the size.

I'm getting some yellow leaves at the bottom of the SFF and on one of my 'Big Beef' any suggestions? :confused:

EDIT.. so I messed up and this is the second plant (in pot) I'll try again
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2009, 03:00 PM
    Name:  tomatoes and golf 2009 048.jpg
Views: 2303
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  tomatoes and golf 2009 049.jpg
Views: 2402
Size:  102.9 KB

Well... there it is! :D

I'm thinking at this point that UDT thingy will be hitting the recycle bin at the end of the season, but I will still continue to nurture, just in case.

Jun 6, 2009, 09:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    I'm getting some yellow leaves at the bottom of the SFF and on one of my 'Big Beef' any suggestions? :confused:
    Hi! Just Dahlia,
    There are different types of yellowing including old age, but what I see in the one with the support cage looks like a nitrogen deficiency-95% sure... maybe sulfur-5%.
    There isn't enough upper leave growth to cause enough shade to the lower ones to be "death by old age".

The UDT might be in the same predicament, and I'm also concerned 'bout the plant to the right that has the leaf curl. That could be a copper deficiency 97%... maybe Boron 3%; although some plants have the characteristic that makes them curl.

When's the last time you used fertilizer? Your weather has been much warmer/hotter lately, and that can add a lot of stress to plants.
    I wouldn't go to strong. Depending on how many plants you have make up a gallon or two of miracle grow or something similar, and dole it out to all your plants,
    I say miracle grow because I know it has all of those trace elements in it.

Use this link, Plant Physiology Online: Symptoms of Deficiency In Essential Minerals, for identification.
    It's a little technical in the beginning, but gets easier 'bout a third of the way down.

And don't forget those breakfast eggshells, just crush 'em up in your hand, and lay 'em on top ;)
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2009, 03:00 PM
    I read and I read and I read, I think I understood most.:confused:

I agree with your conclusions and just fertilized with Miracle Grow for Toms (just happened to have some) it is old though, do you think it's still good?

Either way I will watch them more closely. I think I will have to fertilize the UDT every 2 weeks, because everything goes out the bottom.

I did put spikes in all the plants when I planted, but I have them on a drip system, so maybe the spikes aren't getting wet.

Thanks for the advice, well see what happens next.

I'm really surprised others haven't popped in with advice or pictures. I guess we are the only tomato lovers.

Jun 8, 2009, 08:49 PM
    Now, Now... Don't be discouraged. There are times when I read an article on one of my other interest's, say... Cosmology, I may go over a sentence, paragraph or chapter several times in order to fully understand it.
    Have you ever heard of the “Grandfather Paradox”?

Religion is another interest, I've just started to read “The People of the Creed” by Anthony E. Giles. It is a story behind the early Church from 95 A.D. To 600A.D.

Okay!

According to the Scott's site, MG will last indefinitely, but I suspect that if you found some after 10 years it could go either way. Some elements/compounds get stronger with age, some weaker.
    A word of advice. MG is slightly acidic so using it on toms, and other acid loving vegetable plants is okay, but not most houseplants. If you really need acid get Miracid.

What type of bottom does your UDT bag have? Porous fabric? Plastic with holes? Can you save it with a drip pan?

Or maybe your spikes weren't getting wet enough, and the solution was evaporating before it was doing any good. That would lead me to believe that you may still have food for the plant in the container, but it just hasn't propagated to the rest of it.

So am I, there was binx44 in the beginning, but so far its been just you, and me. I do notice the views jump by 5 or 10 almost every day, so the interest is there. I want to be careful on how many attachments (pix) I download, so I don't go over the limit.I'll have to check the rules on that

BTW... Just since last Friday, BB has grown 5" vertical (34"), and 4" horizontal, but still no fruit :( Its amazing what a few days of Sun can do! :)

KUXJ
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 08:21 AM
    I don't think there is any overall limit to pictures. I've been on other threads with 1000's of pictures. "Pics of our members, pets, artwork, etc.
    I believe you can only put 4 per post though.

I think my one plant and another are not getting better, the ones with the leaf curl. I am going to Southern Ill. This weekend for a family reunion, so I can't watch them. Do you think I should move them away from the healthier ones?

All have toms though. :)

Jun 11, 2009, 12:57 PM
    I don't think there is any overall limit to pictures. I've been on other threads with 1000's of pictures. "Pics of our members, pets, artwork, etc.
    I believe you can only put 4 per post though.
    You might be right, all I saw in FAQ was "It depends"

I think my one plant and another are not getting better, the ones with the leaf curl. I am going to Southern Ill. this weekend for a family reunion, so I can't watch them. Do you think I should move them away from the healthier ones?

All have toms though. :)
    Three main reasons for leaf curl...
    *environmental stress... We know they've been under stress, The hot weather.
    *herbicide damage... We know You try to be as organic as possible What'a 'bout your neighbors herbicide use
    -for lawn care?

*viral infection... We don't know if you've checked for virus's or fungi, or bugs.

For tomato mosaic virus, symptoms of this virus include Curl, mottled leaves and smaller than normal leaflets.

Tomato yellow leaf curl virus is transmitted by sap-sucking insects :eek: and causes leaf roll symptoms in infected tomato plants. Purplish veins on the leaf underside will help to distinguish this virus from environmental leaf roll and herbicide injury. Once it gets this though, the plant is usually a goner. :(

If you don't see bugs like aphids or otherwise damaged leaves, they should be okay.
    For the environment check the weather forcast's.
    One thing that is impossible to control is herbicide drift from your neighbors.

:) When in doubt, move 'em out! :)

Jun 13, 2009, 10:30 AM
    News from the Bucket, June 13th, 2009:

Rain is again the top story here at the bucket, although not as persistent as it had been in past weeks.

Taken from NWS Local Forcast:
    PARTLY SUNNY ACROSS THE REGION WITH ISOLATED SHOWERS...INCREASING IN AREAL COVERAGE DURING THE MID TO LATE AFTERNOON HOURS WITH SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOPING. SOME OF THE THUNDERSTORMS COULD BECOME STRONG...PRODUCING SMALL HAIL...BRIEF GUSTY WINDS AND FREQUENT LIGHTNING. TEMPERATURES IN THE MID TO UPPER 70S AT 1215 PM WILL WARM INTO THE UPPER 70S TO LOWER 80S AT 3 PM.

Its 80.3°F at 1:1:28pm edt
    Rain this week ending 061209; 2.13 ~~~ NWS 1.85

BB's doing well, considering the lack of direct sunlight. He's 38” vertical, and 34 horizontal, sent along three pix, two of them are back when, and now shots for comparison. The main stem is the longest, and I started to train the one on the right to go to the right, there is one on the left, but it's smaller, and towards the back.

He's getting a lot of fruit stems, but Still no fruit! :( . The first stem to get flowers has its blossoms 'bout ready to fall off, and I don't want to resort to strong chemicals. Except for the yard dirt and an initial dose of MG, I've left it on its own. Anyone's welcome to chime in, if I come up with something I'll let you know.

Wait... back when I first hung it the temps where mid 50's or above, then we had that cold spell where it got down in the 30's hmmm, I wonder..

Well I got to get goin' chores you know... I have a new project this week, replacing an old basement window an puttin' in glass block, with a covered well on the outside.

KUXJ
    Attached Images

Jun 14, 2009, 05:26 PM
    :D!. :D!. NEWS FLASH!. :D..! NEWS FLASH!. :D!. :D

To all the gardening gurus across the world BB is a father or mother or hybrid, well, I'm not going to get into semantics :eek:

Was out in the yard today looking him over, when I spied the new arrivals hiding in the back. I kept looking at the first fruit stem, and here they snuck up on me! Their at least penny, close to nickel size.

They could have been there for a week, who knows? I still don't think I'll have toms by the 4th. I'm thinking more like the end of July, even the peepers (frogs) are running late this year.

KUXJ
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2009, 10:07 AM
    WOW, BB looks great and big!

I just got back from Southern Illinois and haven't had time to check on mine yet, BUT I was walking the blocks down there and a couple people had UDTP and they were teeny tiny, so I felt better about mine.

Now have seen yours and the feeling has changed :(
    Maybe I'll be surprised when I get home this afternoon.

The pics looked great!:)
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2009, 10:37 AM

Sounds like things are going awesome guys.. except for the few problems along the way. I know I haven't said much in this thread but that's because I don't know tomato talk HAHA :) but I am loving reading on how yours are going and the things that effect/affect (not sure exactally the right word) the plants and the reasons
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2009, 12:37 PM

Yours seem to be doing decent dahlia... sometimes nature is just hateful and causes problems when it wants to lol.. you've got some small ones growingh on your plant don't you... there also could be quite the geographic difference between you and them and a temp difference etc so that could be why yours are not growing nor acting the same?
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2009, 02:49 PM
    Well KUXJ is from Cen. Pa and I'm from Sacramento, so there is a big difference in weather, but wither way he knows what he's doing.:)

I'm originally from Chicago, where you could practically throw some seeds on the ground and get great tomatoes. I never boned up on it.

It's been ten days, so I think I'll post another pic, I still only have one tomato and it's small. I'm not discouraged, because I have 9 other plants.:D
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2009, 03:06 PM
    I measured and UDT is only 26" and sticking straight out. Only one shoot, just one, nothing coming off the sides yet and when it starts going down (if it doesn't die first) it will be dragging on the ground.:( I don't have anything higher with sun to hang it from.
    Name:  tomatoes and golf 2009 100.jpg
Views: 2416
Size:  138.8 KB

Name:  tomatoes and golf 2009 102.jpg
Views: 2329
Size:  41.6 KB

The second picture is of a plant 3 doors down from UDT, it has tomatoes, but something is happening with it. I'm going to MG it again with all the others since it has been 10 days.

Jun 16, 2009, 03:37 PM

I just got in from yard work... STOP

Happy you had nice trip... STOP :)

Watch the MG on that 2nd plant... STOP :eek:

It could be variety that has curled leaves... STOP ;)

Do you know what variety?. STOP :confused:

I've a lot more to say... STOP :rolleyes:

Will get back in 2hrs after clean-up and supper... STOP :D
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 09:04 AM
    I've got everything labeled except for the UDT, so I'll check when I get home and report. I have 2 of each, so I'll be able to see if both have the leaf curl.:confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Growing Tomatoes [ 11 Answers ]

Last summer, my fiancé and I tried to grow some tomatoes and peppers. We were not very successful. Our tomatoes were so tiny. And hardly any peppers bloomed. Are we watering too much? Could it be the type of soil. Last year we had them in containers, this year we are hoping to grow them in...

Tomatoes are dying [ 6 Answers ]

My tomatoes plants are turning yellow starting from the ground and moving up. The leaves are yellow and curling. What is causing this and can they be saved. I water then at all different times but never after 6 p.m. I usually shower the entire plant. Also, one plant out of six is really bad...

Something eating my tomatoes [ 1 Answers ]

Something just started eating our tomatoes. We had several about to ripen, went out to pick today and most of them had been bitten into. I looked around and something had taken a bite out of half my maters.(Grrrrrrrrrr) Its not insects. There are areas where you can see teeth marks. I'm thinking,...

Cheap Tomatoes? What does this mean to you! [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure what my position is on this yet. But, I thought I would post it to spark a discussion and maybe help me formulate my opinion >From a California school teacher - - - "As you listen to the news about the student protests over illegal immigration, there are some things that you...

View more questions Search