Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcleyn Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 10:58 AM
    Duplicating a File.
    I currently have a database with MS Access 2000.
    I want to make a new database that has the same fields and forms etc. as my current database the only thing different would be the data.
    So basically I want two copies of my original database.
    I want to have a saved copy of my original database but I also need another copy I need to erase the data in order to begin populating my new database.

My question:
    Is it possible to make a duplicate file of my original database; so I can have one to keep on hold as a saved copy and one to erase the data to start populating for my new database?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 12, 2009, 04:45 PM

Just copy the file as you would any file. Then open the copy and delete all the records in each table.

May 13, 2009, 05:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Just copy the file as you would any file. Then open the copy and delete all the records in each table.
    Thanks, works!

May 13, 2009, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mcleyn View Post
    Thanks, works!
    Acutally it didn't work.
    I copied the file and then opened it and started to delete my records. When I opened the original file the same records were deleted.
    Is it possible to copy the file and not have that happen?

May 13, 2009, 06:29 AM
    Is your database split between front and back ends? That would explain deleting the records because you didn't make a copy of the back end as well. Make sure the tables are not linked. If they are you need to copy the source of the links and then relink the front end to the new back end.

May 13, 2009, 06:37 AM
    Is your database split between front and back ends? That would explain deleting the records because you didn't make a copy of the back end as well. Make sure the tables are not linked. If they are you need to copy the source of the links and then relink the front end to the new back end.
    Do you mean make sure there are no relationships between the tables? How do I make a copy of the back ends?

May 13, 2009, 06:52 AM

No, not relationships. Access has the ability to link to a table that is NOT in the current file. In fact, any application that is used by multiple people should be split up so that the tables are in a back end file and everything else (forms, reports, queries, etc.) are in the front end.

Linked tables are indicated by a different icon then tables in the current file. You can find out what the names of the back ends are by looking in Linked Table Manager.

But the only reason that deleting data while in one MDB would affect the data in a different MDB is if both MDBs were linked to the tables in a third MDB.

May 13, 2009, 07:04 AM
    No, not relationships. Access has the ability to link to a table that is NOT in the current file. In fact, any application that is used by multiple people should be split up so that the tables are in a back end file and everything else (forms, reports, queries, etc.) are in the front end.

Linked tables are indicated by a different icon then tables in the current file. You can find out what the names of the back ends are by looking in Linked Table Manager.

But the only reason that deleting data while in one MDB would affect the data in a different MDB is if both MDBs were linked to the tables in a third MDB.
    OK yes now I understand the links. I found out the names of the back ends by looking in the Linked Table Manager. So no that I have done this; to make a new copy should I break the links? How do I get around this, is it possible to copy a database like this?

May 13, 2009, 07:09 AM

You have two choices here, depending on what your reasons are for making the copy.

First, you can copy BOTH the front end and backend. Then from Linked Table Manager you can change what backend file is being used.

Second, you can make just a copy of the front end and use File>External Data to import the tables into the front end copy. You will need to delete all the linked tables first.

May 13, 2009, 08:47 AM
    You have two choices here, depending on what your reasons are for making the copy.

First, you can copy BOTH the front end and backend. Then from Linked Table Manager you can change what backend file is being used.

Second, you can make just a copy of the front end and use File>External Data to import the tables into the front end copy. You will need to delete all the linked tables first.
    Ok I copied the front end and then imported the tables but they still are linked. Can you explain how to unlink the tables?

May 13, 2009, 09:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mcleyn View Post
    Ok I copied the front end and then imported the tables but they still are linked. Can you explain how to unlink the tables?
    Actually I was thinking. I just want to put new records in for my tables and front end stuff as well. I mine as well just copy over the front end stuff like forms, queries and reports and then just make new tables of my own instead of having to deal with the unlinking the tables. If I started deleting things in lets say a form of the copied file would it affect the original form? From my understanding front end stuff like forms etc are not linked?

May 13, 2009, 01:49 PM

First, I did tell you that you need to delete the linked tables and replace them with the imported tables.

Second, Forms are generally bound to a table, but if you delete the existing linked table and replace it with an imported table of the same name, that should not present a problem.

But, by far the easiest, is to just make a copy of the back end, and relink the tables using Linked Table manager. Its real easy, Just click to select ALL and check the Always prompt box. You will then be prompted to select the new back end and all the links will be updated.

May 15, 2009, 10:57 AM
    First, I did tell you that you need to delete the linked tables and replace them with the imported tables.

Second, Forms are generally bound to a table, but if you delete the existing linked table and replace it with an imported table of the same name, that should not present a problem.

But, by far the easiest, is to just make a copy of the back end, and relink the tables using Linked Table manager. its real easy, Just click to select ALL and check the Always prompt box. You will then be prompted to select the new back end and all the links will be updated.
    Ok thank you very much, your help is very appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wait and file first year choice or go ahead file as a non-resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Dear TAx Expert, I was on F1/OPT until July 30th and changed to H-1B on August 25th. I earned less than 4,500.00 during my OPT and had a total income of 16000 on H-1B. Should I file an extension and make First Year Choice after I pass the SPT or just go ahead to file the tax return as a...

H4 Visa: 2007 Tax Filing Status - To file or Not to File [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H4 from 2006. Filed tax for 2006 using ITN with my spouse(H1) as Joint Return. My spouse wants to do Married filing Separately FOR 2007. My question is for 2007, 1) Do I need to file a separate return in spite of lack of income(H4) ? 2) Or do I just leave it as such and not file at...

File W-7 form without tax return and why to file as a resident alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I came to USA in August 2004 on F1 Visa. I graduated and change status to H1b visa from October 2007. Now, I got married and my hasband came to USA on January 2008 on H4 visa. I have my brothers whom I can claim as they have green card and not earning anything. I will have to wait till May 2008...

Files duplicating & tripling [ 1 Answers ]

When using my desktop,I find that files that I put on my removable hard drive duplicate themselves,and sometimes triple and quadruple,could you tell me how to avoid this happening,thank you.

Item duplicating [ 3 Answers ]

Fghfdghdfh

View more questions Search