Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cbosuro Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2006, 11:54 AM
    Letter to Senior Citizen
    I work as a customer service coordinater. A senior citizen wrote a letter to the president that he wants me to address. This is what the letter reads...
    Dear Sir/Madam,
    Please be advised that the fees to cash a payroll check are too high. I am a senior citizen on a fixed income. Please consider a lower check cashing fee.

What can I say to this customer?
    I need help ASAP!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 27, 2006, 12:01 PM
    Dear

I'm sorry you feel our check cashing fees are too high. I can appreciate living on a fixed income can be a strain. However, our fee schedule is geared to ensuring that we make money for the service we perform. We have our own costs involved in providing this service. Plus the risk we take when doing so.

We have investigated other companies performaning this service and feel our fees are competitive. However, we do plan on discussing the possibility of providing a senior citizen discount. If this goes through I will be happy to let you know.

Make sure you have done your homework about how competitive your rates are and DO propose a seniors discount. Lots of companies give them.
    cbosuro Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2006, 12:05 PM
    Thanks Scott! This sounds GREAT! I have never been good at writing letters and you just saved my butt. :)

Thanks

Christi
    Depressed in MO Posts: 571, Reputation: 94

Sep 27, 2006, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Dear

I'm sorry you feel our check cashing fees are too high. I can appreciate living on a fixed income can be a strain. However, our fee schedule is geared to ensuring that we make money for the service we perform. We have our own costs involved in providing this service. Plus the risk we take when doing so.

We have investigated other companies performaning this service and feel our fees are competitive. However, we do plan on discussing the possibility of providing a senior citizen discount. If this goes through I will be happy to let you know.

Make sure you have done your homework about how competitive your rates are and DO propose a seniors discount. Lots of companies give them.
    "I'm sorry you feel our check cashing fees are too high"-I would not put it like this. This is all very good, and I would use it, but I would not use this. I just took a business writing course for a credit of continuing education for my job-in the course, statements like these were inadvisable. The reader may take offense to it. I would re-word it to say something like: Dear _____, I apologize for the inconvenience you may have been caused. I can appreciate living on a fixed income can be a strain. However,.

Just a suggestion-doesn't mean I'm right and people may have other opinions, obviously. :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 27, 2006, 12:20 PM
    You make a good point that my opening line might be taken as condescending. But I don't like your substitute, because it sounds sort of shallow. I would think a company doesn't really care whether their prices inconvenience people or not (just look at the oil companies).

So how about this:

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. Its always good to get feedback from our customers.
    Depressed in MO Posts: 571, Reputation: 94

Sep 27, 2006, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    You make a good point that my opening line might be taken as condescending. But I don't like your substitute, because it sounds sorta shallow. I would think a company doesn't really care whether their prices inconvenience people or not (just look at the oil companies).

So how about this:

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. Its always good to get feedback from our customers.
    That sounds perfect!
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Sep 27, 2006, 04:44 PM
    Here is a snicker ScottGem for you have expresse dsensivity to the issue of this senior citizen wihtou demeaning her... you are correct and my I add... send her letter showing the efforts you are making with your company to address her concerns
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Apr 3, 2007, 11:42 AM
    I would start this way... rest of letter is great though:

"Thank you for taking the time to write to us requesting a reduction in the check cashing fee. I have taken your concerns to the appropriate managers, and we are considering offering a senior citizen's discount, as we understand that many of our customers have similar challenges to those you described in your letter"

Advise her of how she can avoid this fee entirely (I would guess if she has an account, she can cash checks for free?) Keep in the offer to advise her if the discount is approved and the rest of the letter. Leave out apologies. The bank has done nothing wrong and the apology reinforces her impression that she's been treated unfairly.
    KongTheKonqueror Posts: 75, Reputation: 13

Apr 14, 2007, 09:01 PM
    I agree with ScottGem but I am also wondering why the person who wrote the original letter does not open a traditional checking account that will cash checks? Perhaps suggesting that they open a regular checking account to cash their checks?

Also the term fixed income really bothers me. If you think about the term, most people live on a fixed income. I receive the same paycheck week to week and can not get a raise just because I feel like I deserve one, so technically I am living on a fixed income since my income stays the same.

I understand that the check cashing industry has become relatively cut-throat over the past few years, but I would check into offering a senior discount or some other possible incentive to entice customers. When I used check cashing establishments, I used which ever one was closest to me, but if you can offer something to build loyal clients, then you have little to worry about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Senior health plan [ 3 Answers ]

I am a senior. My wife is 60. I have a 16 yr old daughter living at home.Don't have a health plan. Is there help financially for me for health care

Senior Health Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

I receive O.A.S. & C.P.P.(Saskatchewan,Canada) My wife is not eligible yet, We have a 16 year old daughter still living at home. I have no medical insurance. Is there anything out there for me? Thanks

Marriage law between a Turkish citizen and Greek citizen [ 0 Answers ]

To whom it may concern ı would like to find out if a Turkish citizen gets married in Greece with a Greek citizen does the Turkish citizen has to wait and remain in Greece until her residant permit arrives? Doesn't she aloud to travel abroad before the resident permit document arrives? How...

Question to Senior Expert Atlanta [ 1 Answers ]

Does a Not-for-Profit Organization have to pay Income tax or any other kinds of tax? The main concern is Organization but not the employees or employers. But if there are differences, please explain. Thanks for being helpful all the time...

View more questions Search