Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    esvee212 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 05:17 AM
    Serious web site--how to host?
    I am in the process of setting up a social netowkring site with a fairly extensive amount of user generated content, emails, and a very small amount of commerce.

I am currently hosting at IX web hosting... the response times don't seem great, and there are also issues with certain services (for example, they claim that Yahoo! "throttles" their emails and doesn't accept emails sent from the IX server). In short, I am ready for a change.

Is it possible for me to set up an industry-strength web server with Linux and MYSQL at home? If so, where do I start? Or should I switch to a dedicated hosting service (in which case I would like to keep it somewhat cost effective).

Thanks for your advice.
    RubinM Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 09:56 AM
    Sure you could setup a great server at home, but you will be bottle necked by your home ISP provider. Most providers block port 80 and port 25. (web and email) Thus stopping you from serving web pages and sending email without a few work around. You will also be limited by your line and traffic size. I would suggest a high end VPS or Dedicated Server that is hosted someplace else. You can find really cheap vps for linux pretty much anywhere but not many are not managed. If you spend a little more you can find great managed Windows Dedicated Servers hosted with Server Intellect. From what you have I would spend the money and not mess around with a home server.
    Libran Posts: 43, Reputation: 0

May 20, 2009, 07:33 AM

I would suggest you to go for dedicated server.
    manjunath_pg Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2009, 04:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubinM View Post
    Sure you could setup a great server at home, but you will be bottle necked by your home ISP provider. Most providers block port 80 and port 25. (web and email) Thus stopping you from serving web pages and sending email without a few work around. You will also be limited by your line and traffic size. I would suggest a high end VPS or Dedicated Server that is hosted someplace else. You can find really cheap vps for linux pretty much anywhere but not many are not managed. If you spend a little more you can find great managed Windows Dedicated Servers hosted with Server Intellect. From what you have I would spend the money and not mess around with a home server.

Can you tell me how to do that.. is thr any configuration or setting as to do for that?
    Tonchy Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

May 20, 2010, 04:52 AM

You can set up home server but it is not recommended. There is too much tech staff you should consider and bandwidth we'll you'll get from ISP we'll be too low. If you're not satisfied with shared hosting and don't have money for deidcated solution you might try virtual private servers - the middle ground.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am trying to find a site to make a site [ 9 Answers ]

I'm looking for a good website to make a good website and I don't wnt 2 buy or install or download anything onto my computer synthasite was a good one but I didn't quite like it

How to host web site [ 2 Answers ]

I have a username and password in www.godaddy.com , but unable to host so how can I do that

How can I randomise images in a site to be linked via html coding for another site? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am mesmerised. How do Flickr, mybloglog, Facebook and numerous other sites update their badges eberytime the information is updated? Someone told me it is done with js. I hava a wordpress.com blog, which means I am not allowed to use javascript there. So I have to link my images updated...

To host or not to host out of town guests? [ 2 Answers ]

Is it considered rude to suggest family members to stay at a hotel when they come to your state for a visit? My husband and I live near a "tourist-y" city. We both work full time jobs with long hours. His brother mentioned he would like to visit soon when their boys get a bit older. I...

View more questions Search