Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CharlesMHolloway Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2006, 10:28 AM
    I lose the task bar, and all desktop icons...
    My OS (Windows XP Pro) has started acting strange. If I try to open a jpeg file from my desktop (the jpegs open through Picasa with no problem), my CPU usage (observed from the task manager) soars to 100%. Then, the task bar (system tray, start menu and everything), and desktop icons disappear. The only way that I can navigate around the computer is by pulling up the task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and going from there.

I didn't notice this problem before I installed the Google web accelerator. I uninstalled the web accelerator and I did a system restore to a point prior to its installation and still am not having any luck.

Intermittently, when I try to open My Computer, it fails to populate and fails to respond. Intermittently, when I open the Control Panel, and go to add and remove programs, it fails to populate and fails to respond. I get a rundll32.exe not responding error message.

Do I need to insert the windows disc and do a windows repair, or reinstall my OS, or is there something else I can do to repair this thing? The OS has been operating on my computer for about 3 years now. I am operating with a gig of RAM; could one of those sticks be failing? I run a spyware program and an anti-virus program frequently and the programs do not find anything.

Thank you,
    Charles Holloway
    Eugene, OR
    jay c Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Oct 18, 2006, 08:23 AM
    It's almost certainly something corrupt in the operating system. I doubt that it's the RAM, but anything's possible. Did you install any new software before this trouble began? I think your best bet would be to run a repair on the OS.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug92.mspx

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transparent icons and disable desktop [ 3 Answers ]

:) :) :) Hello experts! Can you help me disable the active desktop and enjoy transparent icon background? I'm referring to Windows xp. Thank you ALL very much! Ahuva :confused:

Icons missing from desktop on Windows XP [ 2 Answers ]

I have a elderly client that I recently visted for a beginners training session. Somehow... the icons on her DESKTOP are gone... the icons on her desktop are goneHow do I get them back on the desktop. Thank you. [email protected]

End task [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new Microsoft XP computer and can not learn how to "end task" the running programs to install an Anti-virus program. Please tell me how. Thank you, Kathryn Klenk [email protected]

Removing Icons from Desktop [ 3 Answers ]

Is it possible to have a clear view of background wallpaper without any icons? How do you remove My Computer, My Network Places and the Trash Can from the desktop?

Missing icons on desktop [ 3 Answers ]

On this PC I am using Windows 98 For no apparent reason when I was browsing "VIEW" the multiple short cut icons disappeared from the desktop backgound. I cannot find a way to get them back onto screen. Can any kind person help please?

View more questions Search