Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RonFreedomHome Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 08:19 PM
    What size beam do I need to replace 16' of a 2x4 wall?
    I'm going to remove 16 foot of 2x4 wall and replace it with a beam in the attic. The wall is 16" on center. The roof joists are 2x6 and are perpendicular to the wall. The attic is all joists (no trusss). I want to place the beam in the attic on top of the roof joists and use joist hangers to support the ceiling. This way I have no beam in the room and the existing ceiling joists are not cut.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2009, 09:28 PM

Hi Ron

Which way do ceiling beams run?Perpendicular to wall?

Chuck

May 15, 2009, 03:31 PM
    Sorry, I was out of town. They run perpendicular to the wall.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2009, 02:55 PM

The "roof joist", do they run from rafter to rafter about 1/3 of the way down from ridge?
    If so, these are collar ties and will not be enough to support floor of attic (ceiling of room below).

Chuck

May 18, 2009, 03:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    The "roof joist", do they run from rafter to rafter about 1/3 of the way down from ridge?
    If so, these are collar ties and will not be enough to support floor of attic (ceiling of room below).

Chuck
    No, the roof joists run from gutter to gutter same direction as the ceiling joists which are perpendicular to the supporting wall.
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 06:06 PM

Are u referring to roof rafters as roof joists?

Chuck

May 26, 2009, 08:15 PM
    are u referring to roof rafters as roof joists?

Chuck
    Yes, I suppose I did. Sorry about that.
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 03:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RonFreedomHome View Post
    I'm going to remove 16 foot of 2x4 wall and replace it with a beam in the attic. The wall is 16" on center. The roof rafters are 2x6 and are perpendicular to the wall. The attic is all joists (no trusss). I want to place the beam in the attic on top of the roof rafters and use joist hangers to support the ceiling. This way I have no beam in the room and the existing ceiling joists are not cut.
    I have changed the wording (only in quote) in your post to read ''rafters''.

If u put beam ''on top of roof rafters'' it will be outside of building on the roof.

Don't know if strap hangers are legal in your area, they are not in mine.

The beam would have to be supported below the floor of the wall u take out.

Need more info on location of Wall and what section u want to remove.

Chuck

May 28, 2009, 06:39 PM
    I have changed the wording (only in quote) in your post to read ''rafters''.

If u put beam ''on top of roof rafters'' it will be outside of building on the roof.

Don't know if strap hangers are legal in your area, they are not in mine.

The beam would have to be supported below the floor of the wall u take out.

Need more info on location of Wall and what section u want to remove.

Chuck
    The wall runs through the middle of the house. The supports would rest on the steel I-beam spanning the basement. The I-beam runs the same direction as the wall. The floor joists run same direction as the ceiling joists and the rafters. i.e. I-beam is perpendicular to all joists and rafters.
    mad111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2011, 05:41 AM
    According to the span charts for lvl`s you can use a double 11 7/8" lvl beam to replace the wall , but be sure to support the lvl in the wall that it is going to be sitting on.I don`t know why people will answer a question with a question , unless they don`t the answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I or H beam size [ 9 Answers ]

I am wishing to make a deer pole, It will be on my barn and it will need to support approx. 500-750 pounds.The deer are large here! No but the overkill is for safety and a trolley type of lift I will be attaching to this beam.This beam will be cantilevered from the end wall a full 8 foot.My truss...

Sizing a beam to replace load bearing wall. [ 3 Answers ]

I am planning on removing 15' of a 2x6 load bearing wall in my basement and want to confirm the sizing of the steel beam. I had an engineer have a look, but the only engineer available is a semi-retired fellow who sized the beam in exchange for having a couple of beers with him in the process. ...

Beam size [ 1 Answers ]

What size bean would I require to span 12meters for a steel shed, it is used on the roof

Size of beam [ 2 Answers ]

How big a beam do I need for a span of 12 feet, for a patio roof?

View more questions Search