Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bouvier Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 09:56 AM
    Connect DirectTV box to VCR and HDTV
    I have a DirectTV box which I am trying to connect to a SONY VCR and an HDTV. I have all the cables installed but I am unable to view a CD on the TV. I do not see an IN or OUT connection on the SONY VCR since there is only one set of connectors. I already have an HDM cable from the DirectTV box to the HDTV. I already programmed the TV for such a connection. How do I pay if payment is required for an answer?

Bouvier
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

May 11, 2009, 11:34 PM

What does a CD have to do with it? A CD has to be a relatively unusual video format or contain JPEG images (from a digital camera) to have any visual information on it, and even then you would need a DVD player. Do you actually have a combination VCR/DVD player rather than a mere VCR?

Try the customer support web sites for Direct TV and Sony for downloadable versions of the equipment user manuals if you don't have the printed copies. Often those manuals have connection diagrams. If you can't find such diagrams in the user manuals or other pages on those web sites please post again with listings of which connections your satellite receiver, VCR (or VCR/DVD player combo) and TV are equipped with.

Typical high definition connections between a satellite receiver (or cable/fiber converter) and TV would be HDMI cable or a combination of component video and either stereo audio or fiber optic audio cables.

In many cases a VCR (or VCR/DVD player combo) would only be compatible with the receiver/converter's composite video and stereo audio out connections (recording in standard definition) and RF out connections (for NTSC analog signals ONLY). DVD players (without recording capability) often don't have any input connections at all. The VCR (as well as combo units and plain DVD players) would send signals to the TV through composite video and stereo audio cables.

When a customer wants to use composite video sources in greater quantities than the quantity of inputs on the TV, there are composite video (and stereo audio) switch boxes available at many video game and other consumer electronic retailers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect HDTV system with components [ 1 Answers ]

How do I connect an HDTV system that is made up of a cable box (HD digital with DVR), Panasonic plasma HD TV, Onkyo A/V receiver and Panasonic DVD recorder/VCR combo. I am attempting to achieve optimal video and audio. I currently have everything run through the A/V receiver but the cable guy...

Connect Vaio laptop to sharp HDTV [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Vaio laptop (I think the model is PCG-7T1L(that is what it says on the bottom) but it also says VGN-N130G near the screen) and I am trying to use my Sharp HDTV as a second monitor, to watch movies. I have the right cord (VGA to component video, the blue,red and green plug ins to the...

How to connect GoVideo VCR/DVD combo to Sony HDTV [ 2 Answers ]

I've connected the Sony HDTV to the cable box with the HDMI cables. Connected the component cables from the TV to the VCR/DVD player with all the appropriate colors. The VCR/DVD player is plugged in and works but no picture when the TV is on input HDMI, and the VCR player works when on input...

Trying to connect Zenith DVD/VCR HTIB to Emerson LCD HDTV? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I (actually my mother) has just bought a 32 inch Emerson LCD HDTV model #LC320EM8 and I need to connect the Zenith DVD/VCR HTIB model #XBS444 that I bought three years ago to it. There is no cable box currently. I have the normal hookup like you would have the cable going into the VCR...

How do I connect a DVD Recorder to Satellite Box to HDTV? [ 1 Answers ]

Here's what I'm trying to connect: Phillips DVD Recorder Model DVDR3400 (which has 1 HDMI input) DirecTV HD Receiver (which also has 1 HDMI input) Panasonic Plasma HDTV Model TH-42PX60U (has 2 HDMI inputs) And this is what I have in the way of cables: 1 HDMI cable 1 component video...

View more questions Search