Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tonyrey Posts: 102, Reputation: 10

May 11, 2009, 04:15 AM
    Are mental states controlled by the brain?
    "It's very difficult to explain exactly, i do think the brain is the engine of the body." (Orphan)

The brain is certainly the engine of the body but what controls the engine?
    The nervous systems and glandular secretions regulate the physical functions but they cannot be regarded as free or morally responsible for the decisions we make. Either moral responsibility exists or it doesn't. If it doesn't morality is also an illusion because "ought implies can" (Kant). Good and evil become fictions in an amoral, mechanistic universe. Human and animal rights become human inventions in a purposeless, valueless and meaningless existence. Does that explanation correspond to the way people live?
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2009, 10:33 PM

What is YOUR answer?
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

May 11, 2009, 11:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyrey View Post
    "It's very difficult to explain exactly, i do think the brain is the engine of the body." (Orphan)

The brain is certainly the engine of the body but what controls the engine?
    The nervous systems and glandular secretions regulate the physical functions but they cannot be regarded as free or morally responsible for the decisions we make. Either moral responsibility exists or it doesn't. If it doesn't morality is also an illusion because "ought implies can" (Kant). Good and evil become fictions in an amoral, mechanistic universe. Human and animal rights become human inventions in a purposeless, valueless and meaningless existence. Does that explanation correspond to the way people live?
    I'm debating this very thing myself, as I've started reading about Neuropsychology, with the findings that people tend to reason their actions out by saying, "I did it because I was in love, or I was horney, or angery, affraid, confused, and so on." I've found that our feelings especially love is more about the chamical releases in the brain, and the firing of electro pulses amongst the neurons.

However, consiousness is a rather important factor in this equation.

I'm going to have to say this is a very large topic, as I would say not only are we going to have to delve into Nature vs Nurture, but also All the different fields of psychology. Then when you ask about what controls the engine, there are those who argue there is a human "soul", but no one can prove it. So then we get into various religious aspects, and spititual beliefs. Then there is the various asspects to cultural differences, and the difference in people's own point of veiw.

"Either moral responsibility exists or it doesn't."-You That's not exactely true. Because you can have both. Even morals are subject to one's own perception, interpretation, and then choice made of free will. What I mean is, one may say it's wornd to let some one die with out helping them, while another states, it's wrong to help some one who does not deserve the help. Who is right? That would depend upon one's point of veiw, and interpretation of that view.

"Human and animal rights become human inventions in a purposeless, valueless and meaningless existence."-You
    If no one honors the morals, then the morals don't exsist. So, since the majority honor the rules, then we have a regualar code of moral conduct. What is money with out every one's desire for it? A piece of papper with colours on it, or a shinny piece of round metal? Our existence holds only meaning to each of us as individuals, as “No matter where you go or what you do, you live your entire life within the confines of your head.” ~Terry Josephson Feelings allow us to empathise and connect to other beings.

No this does not work with how we live. People make choices for different reasons, and we may not agree but that's not to say we are right.

I guess the only answer we can really give you is, Does it really matter?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 14, 2009, 12:26 PM

We are each made unique by our personality, soul and spirit... those are the driving forces of our thoughts, decisions and morality.
    At least that is the way I see it.
    VSPrasad Posts: 108, Reputation: 10

Jan 27, 2010, 09:04 PM

No metaphysical problem is more vigorously discussed by the present day
    Psychologists than that of mind and body. Most of us assume that all thinking
    Takes place in the brain. It is only since a few decades that psychologists are
    Treating body and mind as one unit called psycho-somatic system. This led to
    The development of new subjects like Psycho-biology and Psycho-neuro-immunology.
    Modern medicine has recognized the brain-spine system as one unit, but it
    Does not assign thinking functions to any part of the spine. It is now known that
    Even when a considerable amount of brain is removed through surgery, a person can
    Still have reasonable mental abilities and can lead a near normal life. Modern
    Research found that one region in brain can perform several tasks and so can
    Compensate for the loss of damage of another region. On the contrary, surgical
    Removal of some 'safe' parts from womb of women is known to cause problems of mind
    Like dementia. Then, what are the components of mind and where are they located?
    The present paper tries to provide some information in this line, using
    Interpretations of the principles given in ancient scriptures of India.

Indians put their hand on the chest when they say "I am saying this from the
    depths of my Manas". Manas (rational mind) is a common word used in India, and no
    One shows his head when he uses that word. The Europeans have an esoteric
    Tradition that mind exists independently of the physical brain, and thoughts
    Become known to a person through the brain. During the 1970s, neurologists
    Became increasingly dissatisfied with the epiphenomenalism theories of mind
    And brain. More scientists came to suspect that mind and brain were different in a
    Kind and could interact.

More information in my article on mind:

Components Of Mind According To Ancient Scriptures Of India
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Jan 28, 2010, 04:07 PM

Hello VSPrasad,

Is it correct to say that according to the Ancient Scriptures of India mental events are really physical events? In other words, the mental is really physical events happening in various parts of the body.

Regards

Tut
    Anthony Hillyer Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2010, 12:13 PM

I have a text book 7 inches thick on different positions, I really don't know where to begin. From what I have garnered I think it is most likely that mental events are caused (arise out of) physical events but are not themselves physical events.

It is the wrong type of question, like the man watching baseball and saying "I see all the players you've told me about except one, where is the 'team sprit' "

Or a man visiting a university

"You have shown me the science block, arts block and the gym but where is the university"

When we ask if mental events are physical events we make a category mistake.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can anger be controlled? [ 1 Answers ]

My ex seems to have control issues and took his anger out on me. Can he control his anger in other ways? I left him because of his anger.

Controlled Relationship, How do I get out? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm 27 and have a 7 year old son. I have been in a relationship with a guy for 7 years. He conpletely controls me. I know I have to get out but I don't know how to. I work for him in his business and he controls the money I get, I get pocket money like a child and there is no way I can accrue ny...

Rent controlled [ 1 Answers ]

Ballengerb1, What if an l.a. rent-control tenant doesn't have a lease and refuses to sign one? I suppose taking rent from the tenant creates a periodic rental agreement-- may a lessor give a 30/60 day notice to move out because the lessor doesn't want to renew the month-to-month? If this...

Controlled life [ 1 Answers ]

Hey this is jennifer and I am really depressed, I mean I have a cool family but my mom is so controlling... she is the best mom but she wants everything in her way sometimes I feel like she is trying to live her life through me. She wants my room to be decorated in her way, she wants me to wear the...

Spouse full time residents in separate states : states taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I got married in Dec 2006. He was a full time CA resident in 2006 and still lives there and got income only from CA. I was a fulltime Kentucky resident in 2006 and still live here and got my income only from KY. We can file federal taxes jointly. But what do we do for state...

View more questions Search