Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shemp28 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 06:16 PM
    Install a sewer drain where a creek runs through yard
    I want to put a 120'x5' round piece of pipe straight through my yard where a creek runs. This creek flows from storm run off water. Anyone know good inexpensive way to route the water about 125 feet. I will back filling over top of sewer and planting grass.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2009, 06:42 PM

It a bit confusing here. Is this a actual sewer discharge pipe?

Does this creek run all the time/

I'm think you are using 5 foot concrete storm pipes to direct the creek water through there.

Give exact details please.

I won't mention the DER thing here.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 11, 2009, 05:12 AM
    I hope this is rainwater runoff you wish to discharge and not sewage or gray water.
    Please let us know what you plan on discharging. Regards, Tom
    shemp28 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 08:15 PM

This creek is all rainwater run off, not sewage. Flows fast when it rains and slows down as soon as it quits raining. The creek is about 4 feet wide and gets to about 2 feet deep. The creek is in the middle of my back yard, so basically all want to do run the current creek through a piece of pipe under ground and plant grass on top of the pipe. Thanks
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2009, 09:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shemp28 View Post
    This creek is all rainwater run off, not sewage. Flows fast when it rains and slows down as soon as it quits raining. The creek is about 4 feet wide and gets to about 2 feet deep. The creek is in the middle of my back yard, so basically all want to do run the current creek through a piece of pipe under ground and plant grass on top of the pipe. thanks
    I'd check in with your local land use department before doing anything.

Diverting a creek or watershed without an approved plan and permit in my neck of the woods carries some very stiff fines.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 12, 2009, 03:21 AM
    Excellent advice from Growler. A five foot rain water runoff's a major undertaking. Just where will this terminate?
    Check your local building Department to see if a permit must be pulled or even if this is going to be permissible. Good luck, Tom
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2009, 03:36 AM

Lets just say for now we ignore breaking some not seen serious codes that the fines are so high that it cost the price of your home not to mention the "survey" may also be outrageous.

Right off the bat My questions are
    1. 5' pipe needs to be covered now that makes a 6' bury in ground.

2. What depth do you have for a discharge not to mention the intake end.

3. The in take and discharge must be grated so not to drown children.

4. How much fall do you have to discharge the pipe?

5. If it's a bank for discharge and you eliminated the "soaking" of that runoff into your yard then what are the neighbors going to say with the extra fast flow water into there yard.

6. Is there room for a retention pond?

7. would another swail help elevate the water runoff ? Does the water run all the time?

Some people pay a lot of money to setup a small pond and a "creek and water fall to it. You could line the "stream" with rocks and put a small bridge and water fall and make this a babbling brook?

Ive lined a lot of farmers ditches with "Rip Rap" stone and worked on culverts and Crete wing walls for house and farmer bridges. TO direst water we use more flat oval pipe to plumb the water simply because its less dig and rock hammering is kept down. You may hit rock to bury 6'

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer water in the yard, dangerous? [ 3 Answers ]

We recently moved to our current residence. While gardening, I noticed wetness in my neighbor's yard. There is a puddle, about 10 inches wide that fills and then empties to wet mud. I asked my neighbor if he knew about it. Here's what he said. "Oh, I know about that. The previous homeowners were...

Inground Yard sewer vent [ 3 Answers ]

We live in a house built in 1948. I have noticed the smell of sewer gas coming from a vent in the ground. We are connected to the city sewer. We do have a vent on the roof. Is it vital that I keep the yard vent unobstructed or can I plug it to prevent odors coming from it?

Sewer line runs across and up a hill [ 1 Answers ]

When we flush our toilet, sometimes it is sluggish. Other times it will flush fine. We are thinking, maybe it is because we live on a hill. Our line crosses over the hill. I don't know which direction the public street sewer lines drains out. All il know is our home is built on land that...

View more questions Search