Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MWilken Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

May 10, 2009, 05:54 PM
    How long does a Broken Ankle take to heal?
    Hi,

I broke my Ankle in January 2009, both of the bones and had an operation and got nine screws put in and I finally got a job and during the day it swells up, but on the next morning it is a lot better, any advise what I can do to make it better, besides not walking, I have a job where I sit most of the time, but I have to work.
    How long will it take to heal completely? Does anyone know.
    Zazonker Posts: 126, Reputation: 19
    -

May 10, 2009, 06:49 PM
    Gee, these are questions that you really should ask your doctor. Did you ask him and want to get some verification? He knows your situation better than anyone.

For a generic answer, 1'd say about 8 weeks for the bones to heal and 4 months including therapy to assume regular sports activity, discomfort on and off for about 2 years, ability to detect barametric changes for life.
    MWilken Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

May 12, 2009, 05:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazonker View Post
    Gee, these are questions that you really should ask your doctor. Did you ask him and want to get some verification? He knows your situation better than anyone.

For a generic answer, 1'd say about 8 weeks for the bones to heal and 4 months including therapy to assume regular sports activity, discomfort on and off for about 2 years, ability to detect barametric changes for life.
    You are right my Doctor had said also 8weeks and it is 3 month already, I can walk but it is quite painfull. Thank you for your response.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 03:43 PM

I only badly sprained my ankle May, 2008 and it still bothers me. My neighbor sprained her ankle 5 years ago and she still has problems. Give yourself plenty of time for the ankle to heal. If you have a physical therapist, I would ask them the questions about what you can do to have your ankle stop swelling while you are at work. Maybe propping your foot up on a small foot stool may help. That's what I did when I was at work. My son custom made a small foot stool for me that was about 6" high and that did the trick for me. You might want to experiment with some hard cover books to get the right height for the foot stool. Could help your ankle.
    BGosselin3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    I only badly sprained my ankle May, 2008 and it still bothers me. My neighbor sprained her ankle 5 years ago and she still has problems. Give yourself plenty of time for the ankle to heal. If you have a physical therapist, I would ask them the questions about what you can do to have your ankle stop swelling while you are at work. Maybe propping your foot up on a small foot stool may help. That's what I did when I was at work. My son custom made a small foot stool for me that was about 6" high and that did the trick for me. You might want to experiment with some hard cover books to get the right height for the foot stool. Could help your ankle.
    ... I'd like to point out that sprained ankles heal weaker than broken bones... It's better to break a bone than sprain it because the bone heals stronger. So people with sprained ankles tend to have more problems. You'll be back on your feet in no time... I'm currently in a cast.. I broke my ankle in 2 places, I almost had to have surgery on it. It's been a little over 2 weeks since I've broken it, and its stopped hurting, and I've even been brave enough try and walk on it with my cast. I've done as much as walking up the stairs... and its only been 2 weeks... So I guess it all depends how bad things are, but you stay strong, and when your cast comes off really work on strengthing your ankle, even just by walking on it
    pugsly1269 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2011, 12:07 PM
    I had surgery 8 months ago, and had 7 screws and a plate put in. I was able to walk shortly after, but going DOWN the stairs took a few months. It is still only about 80% and was told it would never be the same again. I don't think they were wrong on that. The hardest part was gaining trust in it again. It could take 1 to 2 years to recover fully (I was told) It was freekn painful and I wish all with the same problem a full recovery!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long does it take a sprained ankle to heal? [ 37 Answers ]

2 1/2 weeks ago, I sprained my ankle. I waited a few days to go see a doctor but when I finally did, he ordered x-rays. He said there are no broken bones. He told me to come back in a week. I did and my foot was still swollen and VERY tender in several places (I'm talking that it's so tender...

Ankle surgery broken tibia/fibula [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I broke my tibia/fibula and had ankle surgery needing plates and screws etc.. This was in January and I was not able to put any weight on that leg/foot for 3mos. Now I have a cam boot and have started to apply weight as tolerated with a walker or crutches. I have started PT and am in so much...

Broken bones won't heal [ 2 Answers ]

Hi 6 weeks ago I broke my collarbone and my right heel. I found out that the bones are not healing... why?? I am a healthy 38 yr old,I do smoke,I am on advair other than that I should have been healed. Doc put me on 1500mg of calcium, and 800mg of vitamin D...

How Long To Heal? [ 1 Answers ]

How long does it take to heal from a broken shoulder? How long does it take to recover from a collarbone fracture? Clavicle fractures should heal completely within 12 weeks, but the pain usually subsides within a few weeks. Often patients are back to full activities before 12 weeks has passed,...

View more questions Search