Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jb25420 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 05:18 PM
    Tobacco prices
    How much higher will cigarettes keep riseing.
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

May 10, 2009, 08:29 PM

Great question with no clear answer. Most of the cost of tobacco products is tax. Since America counts taxes on tobacco, alcohol and the like as "sin taxes", and since these items are not deemed as essential, an easy way to raise tax revenue is raise the tax on the sin taxes. The fact that cigarettes have been blamed for death and disease, all the more reason to hit it for more tax. The really downside to the problem is the american farmer who produces tobacco. Big tobacco gets a little more money every time taxes are increased by adding to their margin and blaming the tax. Here is a link to some tobacco info. 27 Tobacco Use Note the tax on cigarettes. Best advice, chew gum. It's cheaper and lasts longer.
    Sunflowers Posts: 218, Reputation: 23

May 10, 2009, 08:51 PM

Smokers should band together and say enough is enough, they've had enough of being singled out and discriminated against, practically and now this huge tax! They should band together across the nation as a large group and simply refuse to buy and smoke another cigarette ever. See how much the government can make off them that way, huh! That should show them.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 10, 2009, 10:14 PM

Hi, jb25420!

I agree, it's definitely hard to say how much they will keep increasing in price. I would imagine that as long as there is potential profit due to taxes and other things on them, that they could increase in price indefinitely. After all, the entities that do make a profit off the sale of them basically have, for the most part, a captive audience because it's so hard to quit...

Thanks!
    jb25420 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 07:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgsnkats View Post
    Great question with no clear answer. Most of the cost of tobacco products is tax. Since America counts taxes on tobacco, alcohol and the like as "sin taxes", and since these items are not deemed as essential, an easy way to raise tax revenue is raise the tax on the sin taxes. The fact that cigarettes have been blamed for death and disease, all the more reason to hit it for more tax. The really downside to the problem is the american farmer who produces tobacco. Big tobacco gets a little more money everytime taxes are increased by adding to their margin and blaming the tax. Here is a link to some tobacco info. 27 Tobacco Use Note the tax on cigarettes. Best advice, chew gum. It's cheaper and lasts longer.
    Thank you for your answer. I'm curious could the government raise taxes so high all people quit smoking for good. I mean I live Maryland and cigarettes are already $6.00 to $7.00 a pack.
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

May 11, 2009, 06:45 PM

jb25420, this is a viable option. If you remember, the US had prohibition in order to stop the drinking of alcohol. It didn't work. If the gov wants to stop smoking, taxing it heavily would create a barrier to purchase. Alcohol can be made at home pretty easily and pretty cheaply. Tobacco doesn't grow everywhere and land is becoming scarce. The fields where I used to raise tobacco are now filled with houses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acid name in Tobacco [ 1 Answers ]

What is the name of the acid which is present in tobacco? And what will happen if we put calcium hydroxide in tobacco (calcium hydroxide being a base and acid in tobacco)?

On tobacco, booze, and pot [ 23 Answers ]

Oh, boy--ex is going to love me for this one... :cool: I was thinking over the weekend about the differences between tobacco, alcohol, and marijuana. Oddly enough, I was doing so while on my back patio enjoying a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, a chew of Levi Garrett, and listening to Willie Nelson's...

Quitting tobacco [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, one of my friend was addicted of chewing tobacco from last 10 years, one day he got pain so he leave his habit after leaving tobacco he got ulcer in whole mouth tongue and throat, doctor told him it's a withdrawl effect but that after taking medicine all ulcers decreasing day by day. But at...

Smoking tobacco [ 6 Answers ]

I have recently quit smoking cigarettes & as all you smokers will know, its very difficult. So in order to try make it a little easier, I have been smoking tobacco out of a hubbly at home. Its not as satisfying, but it helps. I was wondering if anyone can suggest some good flavours? I have tried a...

View more questions Search