Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jouceF Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 04:50 PM
    Child support
    I live in NY, I owe back child support. Child enforcement is takeing money from my social security, and my weekly unemployment, I barley have any money left to live on. What can I do, I need help before I am homeless.:(
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 10, 2009, 04:54 PM

Mybe you should have thought of this before you let yourself get in arrears. The only things you can do is go back to court and ask for a modfication and/or reduce your living expenses,
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2009, 04:59 PM

Are you asking how to stop child enforcement from taking money on your social security?

Best still is to find job ASAP, post resume in an online job search where you can get daily update, Google job vacancies, call friends if they know any,
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 10, 2009, 05:58 PM

There is no way to stop legally enforced child support.

If they are talking over the state max or if they are talking more than the court order allows, you can get that corrected.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 11, 2009, 08:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jouceF View Post
    I live in NY, I owe back child support. Child enforcement is takeing money from my social security, and my weekly unemployment, I barley have any money left to live on. What can I do, I need help before I am homeless.:(

Are they taking money from BOTH your SS AND your unemployment check at the same time?

Is this for ongoing support or past due support?

It is somewhat unusual in NY for child support to lien against both - the usual practice in my area is to lien against SS and then not even check to see if you are collecting other benefits, such as Unemployment.

May 11, 2009, 10:36 AM
    From social security and unemployment
    Uber Member

May 11, 2009, 10:46 AM

Ongoing? Past?

May 11, 2009, 01:22 PM
    Ongoing for past child support My son is 32
    45notdaddy Posts: 62, Reputation: 15

May 11, 2009, 01:37 PM

Holy crap dude!
    Uber Member

May 11, 2009, 02:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jouceF View Post
    ongoing for past child support My son is 32

No, it's not ongoing (current) support is your son is 32. It's for past due child support.

You still owe and he's 32? Well, obviously you do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Should I File for Child Abandonment or Continue to Wait for my Child Support Hearing? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old child out of wedlock and I broke up with his father since September 2008. He was abusive and I had him arrested. After he got out of jail, I allowed him to still see our child. We agreed that he would pay the child support without the courts being involved. Well of course that...

View more questions Search