Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smc Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 04:24 PM
    How to conceal the oil tank and the oil burner
    Hello!
    We have a 375 gallon fuel oil tank in basement (its an old tank) and burner. We are looking to finish basement. What can be done as far as enclosing, partioning, concealing, etc. the fuel tank and the oil burner? We live in Massachusetts!

Thanks!
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2009, 04:40 PM

The fuel tank its not a big deal but the heat plant with a burner is. You need to check on your local codes and also what the clearance specks for clearance for the burner itself.

My are they require 5/8 fire rated drywall in burner side of room. Also don't forget the burner needs air flow to work properly
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2009, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    The fuel tank its not a big deal but the heat plant with a burner is. You need to check on your local codes and also what the clearance specks for clearance for the burner itself.

My are they require 5/8 fire rated drywall in burner side of room. Also don't forget the burner needs air flow to work properly
    I agree with boat21. In may area they also require louver doors for air flow. Also u will need room to service heating plant.

Good luck

Chuck
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 10, 2009, 08:15 PM

I sit on an architectural control board and sometimes laugh at the codes. I think 21boat is right for most states wanting the furnace room to have 5/8" drywall but here's the rub. Fire goes up and they do not require 5/8" on the ceiling, what safety does 5/8" walls do for you.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2009, 08:51 PM

Don't know about now but parts of Ct. required fire code s/r over heating plant and extending out at least 2' from each edge.

Chuck
    smc Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 03:06 AM
    Thanks everyone for your replies!
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2009, 06:26 PM

AS Bal1 pointed out the goof on the code. In answer to the ceiling part there are to many mechanicals that would come through the heat plants ceiling. Fire tape etc. Code for directly above the plant is same as Creahands and the louver doors. Another goof not fire rated.

How about this kicker in fire. I'm working on fit outs on a hospital " Health Campus" And I mean bigger then the average strip mall in Sq Ft. Had a problem with a "safety" meeting, walked out. I laughed and said this is a death trap for fire. All the "Fire Exit" signs are inches from the ceiling and that's a heck of a conversation to crawl out of a building on fire and the Exit sign is where all the smoke gets trapped. CAVE MAN intelligance...

How about rubber cope base, DC current with light and sound to direct a person crawling out of a building to an exit. Get the people out including the blind or deaf

That was in the 90s and not much improved since then

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1994 ford f150 won't switch to front gas tank from rear tank [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 1994 ford f150 xl 4.9 straight v6 with dual gas tanks. When I try to switch over to the front tank from the rear tank the truck stalls out and won't start. Why is this and how can I fix this problem? <PS> even if I switch over before I even try starting the engine the truck still...

How to conceal electric wiring to dining fixture on concrete ceiling [ 6 Answers ]

Would like direction on covering up the feeder wire to long cord plug in pendant dining room fixture - concrete ceiling. We can bore a lge hole at one end of wall (plaster) into adjacent closet for outlet and even control juice at outlet with wall switch....but what to do about cord from center of...

What does expansion tank do on Burnham oil burner RS111 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi,I was told by tech that the expansion tank on my oil burner might be gone or needs relief valve installed.Question burner is 5years old model RS111 all new piping and wiring why would the expansion tank be bad or need relief valve and is there anyway of knowing or testing to determine if this is...

How do you conceal wires under the table? [ 3 Answers ]

I have computer and printer wires and cables under the desk and they are messy. Is there a box you can put over to make it look neater. The desk is in the family room.

Conceal a bite [ 1 Answers ]

How can I conceal a Misquito bite? I mean, I am allergic to misquito bites and they swell up a lot. I got one next to my eye. Is there any better way I can conceal it other than just foundation?:confused:

View more questions Search