Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeepgrl015 Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

May 10, 2009, 01:38 PM
    Why is it that when your single you feel alone?
    I have been out of a serious relationship for almost 8mths now. All of my friends have moved on either married,engaged or new parents. I am the only one single again, and I have never felt more alone. I feel like I'm going to be single forever. I want to be normal again. I feel like I'm the one being looked at as abnormal. I know its probably all in my mind but I still wish I didn't feel alone. I need help. Is there anyone else who feels like this? Will I always be alone?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 10, 2009, 03:10 PM

What do you do for fun?
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2009, 06:24 PM
    Feeling alone is a matter of perception. People that are married and have many friends can and do feel as alone as you do.

Again, it's the 'my glass if half empty, my glass is half full' analogy.

You can choose to see being single as awful or you can choose to see it as an opportunity to meet people and have a good time. (Believe me, many of those friends of yours that are new parents will be wishing they are single when the baby wakes them for the fourth time during the night!)

There may be a deeper reason for your feelings of distress about being alone, perhaps you know this and that's why you feel you need help. If you feel that you need help, ask for it.

I've found that one of the best ways to alleviate that feeling of 'aloneness' is to get involved with other people. Visit your family, have a meal with friends, go out to a movie, talk to people at the supermarket, your neighbors, your work mates. Just connect with people, take an interest in them and their lives and take the focus off yourself.

You're not alone - we are all connected - you just need to see that it can be so.
    IWHO Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

May 10, 2009, 06:37 PM

I was married for 24 years and felt so alone, I got a divorce. My sister asked me if NOW I felt alone. I said it's diff when you are married and feel alone, and when you ARE alone... I have been separated for 1-1/2 years now... I feel alone at times, but I have also found ways NOT to... do as Gemini suggests... connect with people... also, take this time to find out more about YOURSELF... I had forgotten who I was, what I liked... I am using this time to think about ME...
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 10, 2009, 11:18 PM

Hi, jeepgrl015!

You've already received some fine answers above!

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but if you would like, there is an activity that I like to do with people on this site in order to help them be expressive and also feel better about themselves.

If you might like to know what it is and to participate in it, please let me know.

Thanks!
    flowerchildfala Posts: 96, Reputation: 16

Dec 11, 2010, 10:13 PM
    I get that feeling as well but I guess maybe try to take up a new hobby and go and meet new people because it helps to know your broadening your socail circle and thus increasing the chances of someone special entering your life!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Things are changing, I feel annoyed. I feel uncapable of feeling any kind of emotion. [ 5 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend for 9 months now, and I liked him for another 7 months before we started dating. Everything has been splendid besides a few ups and downs we have worked through together. In the past month though, I noticed my feelings for him were not as strong, and this both scared...

Single dad of 4, wondering, are there women who date single dads? [ 15 Answers ]

Hello all, Single father of four children. Married 2 different women, at separate times of course, :D . Three of my children live with me full time and my youngest lives with her mother. Just wondering why it seems that all women don't want anything to do with a single dad of that many kids. ...

I feel I want to be single but am currently in a relationship, what do I do? [ 8 Answers ]

I've known my boyfriend for about 10 months now and have just currently began a relationship with him 2 months ago. I never was sure of getting into a relationship at all but once I got to know him I sort of fell for him. He's a great guy and I really care about him a lot. The problem I'm having is...

How come single men fall for emtional games from single women but not married ones? [ 75 Answers ]

Okay this was brought up in another post by Wildcat. I didn’t want to take away from the original poster but this has been on my mind all day and I just want to get some other feedback on it. The OP was a mistress and as WC points out we’ve been seeing a lot of that here lately. Here’s what WC...

How to view single record of ALL people at single address? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a table with addresses and names. I can easily sort it by address to see all the people living at the same address grouped together. However, this is problematic with mail-merges, since I wind up generating a new letter for each person, sending multiple mailings to the same residence. ...

View more questions Search