Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hardyhair Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 12:49 PM
    Taxes on inherited money from sale of house in Australia
    My wife will be inheriting a substantial amount of money from the sale of her mother's house who just died in Australia. After she receives her payout in Australian money, she will need to convert it into US dollars. Will she owe any tax on this influx of cash here int eh USA? She is selling it essentially within a few weeks after her death so there is no step up in basis. Will this money be considered income as far as her tax return is concerned?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 10, 2009, 11:02 PM

In the U.S. there is no tax on inheritances. Even if your wife is a U.S. person, she does not pay any tax the on inheritance.

Her cost basis is the FMV at the date of death. She may have to report the sale on schedule D if she had a profit.

You may still need to file Form 3520. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax on Inheritances

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on Sale of Property Inherited [ 2 Answers ]

My sister and I lost our Mom in Dec and she left us several properties. We plan to sell her house this spring. We are wondering about the tax implications here. Will we have to pay taxes on all that we inherited when we sell it. Thanks for your help.

Tax Consequences for Sale of Inherited House [ 2 Answers ]

My wife was willed a house upon the death of her parents. The county valued the house at 142,000 at time of probate. The house was sold for a net of 115,000 after all fees. What are the tax consequences? Thank you.

Taxes on sale of inherited house [ 2 Answers ]

We inherited 1/2 interest in my husband's family home when his mother died in 1990. He sold his interest in the house to his nephew in 2007. Do we have to pay taxes on the sale?

Sale of partial owneship of inherited house [ 2 Answers ]

We inherited 1/2 interest in my husband's family home when his mother died in 1990. He sold his interest in the house to his nephew who owned 1/3 of the other half in 2007. Do we have to pay taxes on the sale?

Taxes on sale of inherited real estate [ 1 Answers ]

We are selling the farm/residence we inherited from my father.what taxes are we going to be required to pay here in Virginia?

View more questions Search