Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    student007 Posts: 60, Reputation: 2

Sep 26, 2006, 05:13 PM
    Canadian Pension Plan
    Who funds the Canadian Pension Plan? I mean, let's say I am a member of Parliament. Obviously the effect of inflation on the cost of plan would play a role. Would I want to use:

GDP deflator to measure inflation (understates inflation)
    CPI (overstates inflation)
    Average of both (a bit more accurate)

I'm thinking I would want to use the GDP deflator so that inflation is understated and the gov't can save more $$. But using CPI would probably make consumers happier. However, an average would be more accurate.

So what would be best?
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Sep 26, 2006, 07:24 PM
    I'm not an economist, so I don't understand any of your questions beyond the first. However, I am employed, and I read my pay stub, so I do know who funds the CPP. It's people who make money in Canada.

On every paycheque, there is a deduction for income tax, Canada Pension Plan, and Employment Insurance. The CPP premiums go from my paycheque to whomever is collecting benefits now. When I retire, the people working then will be paying CPP premiums to cover my benefits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Canadian Parents - Tory Child Care Plan [ 6 Answers ]

To all Canadian parents out there with children under 6, read this: http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=2b61ccae-24be-4c0d-b0b9-d5faae003f21&k=58998 Meaning, you have to submit some type of application, if you haven't already.

Canadian politics! [ 103 Answers ]

We are coming to an election in the new year. We have had 12 years of liberal rule which I do realize may be good for the finances of Canada, but in whole is not good for morality of our country, or the safety of our country. The liberal government has promised many things and never delivered,...

20 vs 30 yr retirement pension [ 1 Answers ]

Currently, our department has a 50% at 20 yrs, 60% at 30 yrs government pension with a 8.5% contribution. Our union just turned down a 50% at 20yrs, earning 2% each year thereafter to a maximum of 70% at 30 yrs. To get this, we were asked to pay an additional .5% (total 9%). Were they crazy for...

Canadian Confederation? [ 1 Answers ]

What cause was the most significant push to Canadian Confederation??

View more questions Search