Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anchovies1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 08:31 AM
    Humming sound in house
    I have reviewed the other questions in regards to the humming sound, but have not been able to apply them to my home situation.

I live in a condo with 3 units (side by side), one floor. At about 3:00 am in the morning I hear this "humming" type of sound, and sometimes during the day a "light tinny sound" (like a small fan is out of whack).

I do not have any electrical or water appliances which are set on timers. This started about 3 months or so ago.

I have turned of all electrical, item by item and as to the MAIN SWITCH and the sound still comes around. Actually with the time a change a month or so ago, the sound started on hour later (daylight savings time).

Its one of the sounds that at 3 am can sound louder to me since I live in the house and used to the sounds. The air conditioning people were here but did not hear anything or find anything wrong with the a/c (its only about a year old - with the AC I have an evergreen clean non-filter, which uses ultraviolet light to convert the dust etc. into water).

The only work in the last few months has been to have the laundry vents cleaned, and the 'outside flap" one of the vents for the toilets closed (It had been opened).

Also had to have the duct pipe to the above toilet vent hooked up correctly.

The neighbor (adjoining) has a water softener which apparently needs servicing. I have spoken with them and they turned to water softener to bypass - but the sound (and we believe it may be from their water softener) still comes on at about 3:00 am. It generally disappears about 10 am.

Thanks and hope someone has a suggestion. I am also going to call the local water department this week,

Thanks,
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 10, 2009, 07:59 PM

Turning a softner to by pass does not stop the regeneration cycle. Ask him to unplug the unit and I bet you noise stops.
    anchovies1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 02:55 PM

Thanks to ballengerb1. Neighbors are stopping over in the next couple days. I believe they have unplugged the unit but will pass on the suggestion. I was also told even if you have pulled the plug if it is in the middle of the cycle, the cycle will continue,
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 11, 2009, 08:05 PM

Pulling the plug stops the cycle since all solenoid valves will close and return to their at rest state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Humming sound when water is turned on [ 6 Answers ]

I have been hearing a humming sound whenever any toilet is flushed or any faucet, shower is turned on. The sound gradually gets louder, however it does not vibrate or have a banging sound. I have tried to reduce as well as increase the pressure to see if that would fix the problem but the sound...

Water pipe humming sound. [ 7 Answers ]

Why is there a loud humming sound every five minutes in my main water pipe near the main shut off valve. Note this happens when there's no water running in the house? I do have a pressure reducing valve. Also my friend next door hears the noise to. I turned off his water main in his house and...

Humming sound [ 3 Answers ]

Am 29 year old my ear there is always humming sound is coming and because of that I am very distrub also not listen properly. Please suggest what should I do ? Also suggest some medicine?

Humming sound from pipes [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. We have a whole house humidifyer attached to out forced air furnace. THe water supply for the humidifyer was a direct tap in to the hot water copper tube on top of the hot water heater. This year there is a lound low pitch humming sound that I believe originates at that connection. I have...

View more questions Search