Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mily2008 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 01:03 AM
    Is a joinder of employee retirement plan needed for dissolution status only?
    The judge told my fiancée that he needs a joinder of an employee retirement/pension plan to finalize his DISSOLUTION STATUS only.

He had a 401(k) of about $2000

However in the FL-328-INFO it says that a joinder is not necessary.

We are very confused.

Your help is very appreciated.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2009, 04:27 AM

If the judge told you that you need it, you need it. What is the confusion?
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2009, 09:48 AM

For a status only judgment (even though you didn't say, I know you are in California because of your question) you now have to have a QDRO or interim QDRO in effect to protect the non-employee spouse at the time the judgment is entered. As far as joinder of the plan is concerned, the judge can (and judges usually do) require joinder. But Family Code 2337 says that the court must order joinder unless they are precluded or made unnecessary by federal law (ERISA). ERISA applies to private retirement plans and does not require joinder so in the case of private plans I don't think joinder is an absolute necessity under 2337--but the interim QDRO is (this is a fairly new rule, I think effective 1-1-08).
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 10, 2009, 09:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac59 View Post
    For a status only judgment (even though you didn't say, I know you are in California because of your question) you now have to have a QDRO or interim QDRO in effect to protect the non-employee spouse at the time the judgment is entered. As far as joinder of the plan is concerned, the judge can (and judges usually do) require joinder. But Family Code 2337 says that the court must order joinder unless they are precluded or made unnecessary by federal law (ERISA). ERISA applies to private retirement plans and does not require joinder so in the case of private plans I don't think joinder is an absolute necessity under 2337--but the interim QDRO is (this is a fairly new rule, I think effective 1-1-08).

Legal question - whether it's required, if a Judge orders "something," isn't getting that Order set aside the only way to not comply?

I've seen some strange Orders, particularly in divorces -
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2009, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Legal question - whether or not it's required, if a Judge orders "something," isn't getting that Order set aside the only way to not comply?

I've seen some strange Orders, particularly in divorces -
    Yes, you are correct. Getting an order set aside would be the only way to avoid compliance. Any court's orders are presumptively valid and would always require another order to terminate or supersede them. The only exception I can think of would be in the case of a blatantly invalid or illegal order but the general rule is that an order is an order is an order.
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2009, 10:13 AM

The rule on having a QDRO in place for a status-only judgment is to avoid the problem that so often comes up with people getting marital status terminated and then forgetting about the rest of their case for 10 years or never doing anything. Sometimes I think it's fine just to do a status-only and forget about the rest of the case (it's a lot easier), that is, if there is no property or debt to deal with and no kids, or if you've already got orders on kids and support that everyone is happy with. But oddly enough, you can still have a regular disso judgment entered without a QDRO and the problem of the non-employee spouse being at risk of losing his or her interest in the retirement is still there. But as far as joinder goes, I usually don't do those if I've already got or am going to get a QDRO done. Federal law doesn't require them and I don't see the point of joinder in many cases.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retirement Plan taxes from employee ending Job [ 1 Answers ]

I recently resigned from a company where I contributed to a retirement savings plan. In the mail after my employment was terminated, I received a check for the entire amount of the savings. Is there a time limit to when I need to roll this money into an IRA so I do not have to pay taxes? And...

Wanting to set up a retirement plan [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 24yrs old,and I want to set up some kind of retirement plan.any suggestions?thanks.

401(k) and retirement plan [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between 401(k) plan and Retirement plan?Is this the same or different?

Helping Mr. Road plan his retirement. [ 1 Answers ]

Old Alfred Road, who is well-known to drivers on the Maine Turnpike, has reached his 70th birthday and is ready to retire. Mr. Road has no formal training in finance but has saved his money and invested carefully. Mr. Road owns his home - the mortgage is paid off - and does not want to move. He...

Retirement plan contribution [ 7 Answers ]

I am in my companies retirement plan through American funds. When I first stared 1 1/2 years ago. After three months they started taking money out of my check to companies in there retirement plan. How do they have the right to take money out of my check without my consent? Is this legal? I...

View more questions Search