Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sgmbona Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2006, 02:29 PM
    Sewer odor from kitchen sink when washing machine discharges
    Here goes...
    When the washing machine discharges water, I get a strong sewer smell from the kitchen sink.

1. Washing machine is located in the basement and empties into a utility sink.
    2. Both kitchen sink drain and utility sink drain enter into the same cast iron pipe located in the concrete floor (utility drain enters cast iron pipe about one foot the left of the kitchen sink drain. The cast iron pipe continues beneath the floor to the right).
    3. When the washing machine drains, I get gurgling and some splashing in the kitchen sink.
    4. House was built in 1920's.
    5. Vent pipe is REALLY high! (Three story house and I'm afraid of heights!)

Do I have a blocked vent problem?

Thanks for you help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 26, 2006, 09:11 PM
    It doesn't sound like a vent problem. Sounds more like you have a partial blockage downstream from the washer. It might be possible to snake the line out from the washer stand pipe. You will hit a return bend in the trap about 3 feet in but once you're past that it's a clear shot, Good luck. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing machine draining into kitchen sink [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I know it may seem like this question has been covered a zillion times but here we go again... I live in a block of flats, only 10 storeys high and I live in the penthouse suite (NOT!) - on top floor basically. Just acquired a new Hoover VisionHD washing machine which has been...

Want to put washing machine in kitchen [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to put a stackable washing machine in my kitchen. From a purely plumbing standpoint how feasible is it to hire a plumber to place hookups in my kitchen for a regular clothes washing machine. Is this something that is reasonable to do in most cases? How much is it likely to cost in...

New washing machine causing sewer back up? [ 8 Answers ]

Just under a month ago, my Mom and step-father gifted us with a new washer and dryer. The washer we had was approximately 13-14 years old, and while working mostly fine, I think was probably on it's last legs. While using the old washer, we would (for the last several months) have to shut it...

Washing Machine emptying out in the kitchen sink and bath tub [ 1 Answers ]

We bought a 96 year old house a few months ago. Every time the washing machine is emptying out water comes up in the kitchen sink and the bath tub with a strong sewage smell. The sink in the bathroom also has a strong sewage smell every time you run the water in it. There is a crawlspace...

Kitchen Sink Gurgles with Shower or Washing Machine Use [ 2 Answers ]

A plumber who came by to unclog a sink told the tenant that it was the septic (the house actually has a cesspool, not a septic tank). Unfortunately, I wasn't there to ask any follow-up questions. I'm wondering, is it possible this is a partially blocked main line out to the cesspool? Could it be...

View more questions Search