Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    namaikatikura Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2009, 02:55 PM
    Martial Arts for tall people
    What is the preferred martial art for tall people I'm 6'4.:confused:
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

May 9, 2009, 03:16 PM

I've heard that Tea kwon do can be good for Tall, skinny people.

You may try Mixed Martial Arts, you get a good mix of everything. Putting your stand up, and take down, ground grappling to the test. It really depends upon what you want to learn, your personal prefference. You'll have to figure it out.

I don't suggest street fighting, unless you really like it, nor kick boxing as they are more kick/punch till you get it right. You learn a lot of really bad habbits during that.

In Tea kwon do, you are taught the technique, which gives those practicing the disapline more power, speed, percision, and mindfulness during a fight. As aposed to random flailing, or reckless attacks, or careless defence.

For you I recommend Tea kwon do. It also depends upon your teacher/instructor.

You may benafit form Judo as well, but it's more tossing and throughs. Personally, I'd perfer M.M.A. to judo. But Marial arts are not really meant for fighting, they are meant to be preformed as "Arts".

In the end it's up to you to decide where you fit best. Good luck.

May peace and kindness be with you.

May 10, 2009, 12:39 PM

Thanks a lot man! I'm not very skinni, I do a program in the gym for like 4 times a weak.. so I don't know about tae kwon do.. unfortunately in my city there are now MMA schools :( so I'll have to try something else :) thanks for the useful information
    Take care
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

May 10, 2009, 01:25 PM

No worries. Perhaps boxing is more your thing then.

Or try the judo, then see if you can't implement boxing with it. That way you have a ground game and stand up any way. It's like doing M.M.A. only the ground won't be quite so agresive with arm bars/chokes, and such. Still a good thing to know for tossing some one when they get too close for you to box. Then after you've tossed them you'll have more room again to box. And like I said, ground manovering. Very important if one pins you, then you can wrap them up so they can't hit you either.

Take care and peace be with you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 10, 2009, 06:31 PM

Anything is good, the only real issue may be a spare partner in class but then that is often a problem based on skill levels anyway.

Best visit many different schools and see the one where the instructors and the mood of the school fits you
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

May 16, 2009, 08:01 PM

Namai, I am 6'4", 330 lbs and a second degree black belt in Tae Kwon do as well as a second degree in Hapkido. With height and weight usually comes longer limbs and strength of those limbs. Tae Kwon Do is also a strong work-out. Hapkido is a softer art that employs joint manipulations, lock outs and precision strikes. Your size will be usuable in this art-especially if you have large hands-since Hapkido enjoys grabs. I have found that Judo is not on the side of the big man, because getting below your opponent to gain leverage is sometimes harder for the big man. MMA is often trained as a sport instead of a self defense method. Rules in the ring are not the rules of the street. Strikes and strike locations in a specific art are taught as a defense. In MMA, some strikes aren't taught since they are illegal in the ring. Think about this, martial arts are usually specific to a country. In each country, a persons size will be as varied as in America. The art will still be taught. Only when it's taught can you pick the techniques best suited for you. Until next time, KIAP!

May 17, 2009, 02:17 AM

Thanks a lot for sharing with me this information! I don't have any expirience with martial arts, and those were really useful answers!
    Kind regards and take care! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Martial arts scholarships [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any universities or colleges that offer martial arts schollarships ?

Martial Arts [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get scholarship for martial arts. I'm trained artist for more than 15 years

Martial arts stretching [ 1 Answers ]

Have been training in taekwondo for about 18 months and am struggling with flexibility, I am 35 years old and think I started this too late, I warm up, stretch and cool off correctly as advised by the class instructor and do this every 2 days for 30-45 minutes (used to be every day but was advised...

Martial arts [ 1 Answers ]

Wich form of martial arts is most effective in strikeing with hands and teaches the student hand speed,accuracy, agility,and stress speed. If there is not such form of martial arts would the reader please tell me wich form of martails arts would suit me best. Also would you tell me the best way to...

View more questions Search