Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miguelito3218 Posts: 60, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2006, 09:36 AM
    Rough in question...
    Tom,

A while back I asked you about a bathroom rough in. Plans have changed again since then. This is what I currently roughed in:

I have a 4" line coming in from my back yard straight to the toilet, which is set on the exterior wall, (so the 4" line only comes into the house 12 inches)

Right before the toilet closet bend/elbow, there is a 4x4x2 long elbow sweep going up the exterior wall so that 2" pipe will serve as a vent stack for the entire bathroom. The sink will drain into this stack. Question 1: Does the sink need to be vented back into this stack above where it drains in?

When the 2" pipe goes up, before reaching floor, there will be a 2x2 sanitary tee that will go to the shower trap. On route to the trap, there is a 2x2x2 wye, rolled on 45 degree that will go up the wall as a vent and connect to the stack, as you recommended.

So if you can imagine, the 2" inch stack is centered directly behind the toilet. Is this acceptable?

Now the problem is that the boss (the old lady) wants a window above the toilet. So here is what I was thinking.

Option 1: route the stack around the window with a few 22s/45s.

Option 2: drain the sink into the 2" pipe/stack, but vent from the sink rather than behind the toilet, and route the shower vent into sink vent, either below or above the window behind the toilet.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 26, 2006, 08:55 PM
    Try this one on for size,

Main to toilet. Lavatory to connect to the toilet and a lavatory vent run out the roof, the shower to connect to the lavatory drain where it will be wetvented by it as will the toilet. Every's happy! The little woman gets her window and you have one less vent to hassle with. Sound like a plan? Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rough in Basement Plumbing Question [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I had my basement roughed in for a shower, toilet and sink. The pipe for the toilet sticks out of the concrete and is 12" from finished wall. There is a 2" PVC pipe behind the toilet that will be located within my framework. I am guessing this is the vent for the toilet and also a wet...

Basement rough in question, Newbie [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to this forum so be gentle. I have read through many of the threads. I have a question on basement rough ins. I purchased a new house and the builder provided rough ins for a bathroom and a wet bar. My question is what I need to hook up. I want to do it myself, not sure if I...

Rough wiring question [ 4 Answers ]

I have been remodeling my basement, and am about to run the wiring for the outlets. Should the wire run above the outlets (standard height of 12” I believe) and come down to the box. Or, should the wire run below the boxes and come up to the box? Thanks Scott

Adding a shower to half bath*rough-in question [ 24 Answers ]

Here's the deal... I am going to be adding a shower to an existing 1/2 bath in my basement. The toilet is vented up out of the slab on the other side of the wall,in my utility closet, makes about a 4' run into another wall where it ties into the lav. /washing machines' drain. the lav./washing...

Tub rough in question in unfinished basement [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 questions regarding my rough in for the tub in my unfinished basement. My first question regards the p-trap for the tub. This house was built in 2001. Is it common for the p-trap to be put in when they do the rough-in? I don't know whether to add the p-trap. A few pictures: 1st is a...

View more questions Search