Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clermont Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2006, 07:09 AM
    Not guilty by reason of mental illness
    If a person has 6 felonies because of his charge of either guilty my mental illness or not guilty by mental illness and has probation until 2017, is there a chance, with good behavior, of getting early off on this? Anyone know? Also, can the probation be transferred to another state? Anyone hear of this? And last but not least, can you travel to Canada, which will require a passport, if you have these felonies? Thanks ahead.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 26, 2006, 08:48 AM
    If a person was found not guilty due to mental disease or defect, then they will be on probation until or unless a doctor certifies they are not longer sick.

The person's probation officer can answer questions about travel and transferability.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2006, 09:38 AM
    Hello clermont:

It does make a difference, you know. If you've not been convicted because of your mental situation (call it what you like), then you'll be held in a mental instution until you are cured. If you were found not competent to stand trial, you will be held in a mental instutition until you are deemed cured enough to stand trial. If you were found guilty due to mental problems, and placed on probation, you're going to be on probation until you are deemed well, or your probation expires. Be clear about this, you've been found guilty.

IF you are deemed well, and have obeyed the rules, then I'll bet you CAN get off early. Ask your probation how. If he doesn't know, ask his supervisor.

Yes, you can have it transferred to another state. Before, that can happen, though, you're going to need a place to live and a job there.

You're right, to go to Canada requires a passport these days. If you can get one while you are on probation, get it. If you get permission from your PO to travel to Canada (and you might), Canada might not let you in. It's up to them.

excon

Sep 26, 2006, 07:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    If a person was found not guilty due to mental disease or defect, then they will be on probation until or unless a doctor certifies they are not longer sick.

The person's probation officer can answer questions about travel and transferability.

Thanks Scott.

Sep 26, 2006, 07:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello clermont:

It does make a difference, you know. If you've not been convicted because of your mental situation (call it what you like), then you'll be held in a mental instution until you are cured. If you were found not competent to stand trial, you will be held in a mental instutition until you are deemed cured enough to stand trial. If you were found guilty due to mental problems, and placed on probation, you're going to be on probation until you are deemed well, or your probation expires. Be clear about this, you've been found guilty.

IF you are deemed well, and have obeyed the rules, then I'll bet you CAN get off early. Ask your probation how. If he doesn't know, ask his supervisor.

Yes, you can have it transferred to another state. Before, that can happen, though, you're going to need a place to live and a job there.

You're right, to go to Canada requires a passport these days. If you can get one while you are on probation, get it. If you get permission from your PO to travel to Canada (and you might), Canada might not let you in. It's up to them.

excon
    Thanks excon. I didn't know before you transfer to another state, you needed a job too!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disabled - Mental Illness - Need Prescription Asst.-SSDI Over Requirements [ 9 Answers ]

I am 47, disabled after working 27 years as a paralegal with a mental illness. My SSDI is 22,560, 1880/month. All programs out there to help assist me get medications I need for physical and mental illnesses are denying me as they say my salary is over the income elegibility. I have a very...

Illness or liar [ 1 Answers ]

someone I know has this problem where her husband says horrible things to her during bedtime and then he doesn't remember them the next day. Once she had a medical emergency and he said he didn't care whether she went to the E.R. or not and to figure it out her f*&^%$# self. When she heard some...

Feeling guilty because I want to take care of my family myself... [ 15 Answers ]

I married a wonderful man nearly 6 years ago and we've been together for nearly 9 years. I have two children (12 & 13 year old girls) from a previous marriage. Before and after we married, I worked full time. After 9/11 and my subsequent layoff, I began working part-time so I could be here when...

Safe ways to deal with illness while pregnant [ 5 Answers ]

Can we start a thread about safe ways to deal with minor aches and pains, colds, flus, etc, while pregnant? I have to admit that I've used way too many NSAIDS and other drugs in the past when I have headache pain or a cold, muscle aches, etc. Obviously now that I'm pregnant I can't take any of that...

View more questions Search