Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    staceycole5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2009, 12:16 PM
    How do I go about getting my son adopted by my husband?
    My husband and I have been married since 2006 and monthly my son asks me when his Dad is going to adopt him so he can have the last name the rest of his family does. I did not list a father on the birth certificate because I don't know. I have been told by a lawyer that it has to be put in the newspaper stating that the "father" has so much time to come forward to be the father. I guess I don't understand the whole process. I live in Nebraska and like everyone times are tough. I don't have the money to pay a lawyer I just don't know what direction to go. The last time that I talked to any professional was almost 3 years ago and I know prices change. The only father my son knows is my husband. Any one got something for me to go on??
    Meredith1978 Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

May 8, 2009, 12:26 PM

A name change is cheaper if it is about money, but the process of it being put in the paper is pretty standard in your circumstance
    staceycole5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2009, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Meredith1978 View Post
    a name change is cheaper if it is about money, but the process of it being put in the paper is pretty standard in your circumstance
    For a name change you still need to contact an attorney. Is that the first step you suggest? I would like to have this done by the end of the year. So are you saying it's a standard procedure to place the information in the papers??
    Meredith1978 Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

May 8, 2009, 12:48 PM

Yes they do the same thing for divorces where they cannot locate one of the parties.

You're right, you'd still need an attorney but the total cost is usually a lot lower
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2009, 12:58 PM

The problem is to do anything you are going to need the permission of the bio father, so who is he, can he be found and contacted, it is much easier and a lot cheaper if you can just find him.

If not, you are going to have to file a notice in the correct legal section of specific news papers
    (* this can be in the 1000 dollars plus range just for posting in paper)

Then that is only to nottify them of the court hearing.

You will need an attorney
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 8, 2009, 02:00 PM

As Chuck said, you will need to get the bio father to agree to either an adoption or the name change.

If you don't know the bio father, then you have to show you have made a good faith effort to contact that father to get permission. If you truly don't know who it is you will have to contact all possibilities to take a paternity test.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my child with unknown listed in the father's name be adopted by my husband? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a daughter who is almost 2 and my current husband is the only father she has ever known. Her father on the birth certificate is listed as unknown. We would like to begin adoption proceedings will this be a problem since the father is unknown?

H1B Husband, Husband and Wife overseas, LayOff [ 9 Answers ]

I was on a H1B visa and working in the US sine June 2007. The company that I was working for downsized and I was laid off from there on 31st Oct 2008. Subsequently since I was unable to find employment I decided to move back home at the end of November. I got married in Dec 2008. By that time my...

New husband wants to adopt my single-parent adopted child. [ 2 Answers ]

I adopted a baby 4 years ago as a single-parent adoption. There is no father on the birth certificate, just me as the birth mother. How can he adopt my son and have his name added to the birth certificate? Thank you!

Adopted dog [ 12 Answers ]

I found a dog to adopt. His name is Jesafur but we are calling him Jessie. They say he's a husky/black lab mix. We went to visit him and took our beagle to meet him and the kids to play with him. We have had him a week and a half. Since then he doesn't leave my side. Wherever I go there he follows....

How would my husband adopted my daughter [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is amber. My husband wants to adopted my daughter, but we don't know where her bio father is. How do I do this . How would I go about my husband adopting her?

View more questions Search