Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akscott Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2009, 12:15 PM
    401K withdrawal after retirement
    I am 55 and recently started drawing a pension under the early retirement provision of my unions defined benefit plan. We also have a 401K supplemental plan in which I have a balance of $4300.00. I would like to withdraw this and am wondering if I would be subject to the additional 10% penalty.Also as we can draw our pension and still work a limited amount of hours in a calender year I could be making contributions to the fund that I have closed out because the employers contribution is automatic. Thanks, akscott
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 8, 2009, 12:26 PM

If you are still employed by the company where your 401(k) is located you have to be 59-1/2 to avoid the 10% penalty. If you leave your job at age 55 or older, you can withdraw without penalty, even if you work somewhere else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How is a retirement account hardship withdrawal done? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am 50 years old. I am employed with government agency. But in a kind of financial mess right now due to mismanaging and gambling my money. I have now credit card debts, personal debt, and car payment. All my debts amount to about $77,000. I have however 3 retirement account. Those have...

IRS Regulation for hardship withdrawal of retirement to pay them [ 2 Answers ]

According to IRS regulations, can I get an early hardship withdrawal from my retirement account which both myself and my employer have contributed to, in order to pay back taxes (mainly 941 taxes) from my husbands business? All input will be greatly appreciated and if you know what written...

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

Retirement Withdrawal [ 3 Answers ]

I was awarded a large sum of money from my ex-spouse's retirement account. Federal taxes were taken out the lump sum amount and I used the balance to purchase a home. Do I need to claim these funds received as income to me on my Federal Tax Return? Thanks for any help on this question. Karen

View more questions Search