Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 10:12 AM
    BG Universal Frigi-Quiet Refrigerant Oil
    Five weeks ago, I installed a new Motorcraft compressor and clutch ($200) and accumulator ($92) in my 2000 Ford Taurus, with the 3.0L Duratec Engine (103,000 miles). Instead of using the Polyalkylene Glycol (PAG) refrigerant oil that came in the compressor, I emptied it out and added 6 oz. of BG Universal Frigi-Quiet Refrigerant Oil (Part No. 7018). It's a di-capped PAG oil that was strongly recommended by several people, who have serviced auto air conditioners in Texas for years. It can be used with R-12, R-134a, and CO2 systems. I expect BG Universal Frigi-Quiet Refrigerant Oil to substantially extend the life and performance of the compressor, just like other full-synthetic lubricants have already extended the life and performance of my engine, power steering, and transmission.

I removed the compressor from below. First, the exhaust system, from just below the exhaust manifold to the catalytic converter, was removed. This is where 18" to 24" extensions come in handy. Second, the radiator cooling fan was removed. Third, the lower thermostat housing and hoses were removed. This provided ample room to remove and install the new compressor. I kept the plug on the compressor ports, in order not to loose any refrigerant oil during installation. This is a hard 8 hour procedure.

It's 95 degrees F. outside, already, and it will be getting hotter. This system will almost throw ice cubes. I stopped cranking the system lower, when the center vent recorded 32 degrees F. It's super quiet and I'm impressed.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2009, 03:21 PM

A comp and clutch for 200? Wow! Try that in Toy land. Lol.
    Yes, in stock on the BG in our parts department. Good stuff. HOWEVER< if you drive a hybrid, you better go by the book on that refrigerant oil.
    A little FYI to our readers out there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

410 Puron vs. Are 22 refrigerant [ 12 Answers ]

I need to install an new central air conditioning complete system to replace what I now have. The existing ducts will remain. I understand that R 22 is being phased out and that by 2020 will no longer be permitted to be manufactured or be imported into the U.S.A. I also understand that Puron is...

Puron refrigerant [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, We are having a new heating and air conditioning system put in our home. We have had three contractors give us prices, and 2 of them have included systems using the new Puron refrigerant. The 3rd contractor who is supposed to be excellent, said they are not using the Puron yet, he said by...

Refrigerant charging [ 3 Answers ]

How do I charge systems using Puron or refrigerant 410A?

Information about refrigerant [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am going to know complete charactristic (such as evaporating and condensing pressure,refrigerating effect, odp,gwp,. ) of the R22 and R404a Thank you

Universal Honeywell thermostat not so universal [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to install a Honeywell programmable 7400 "universal" thermostat. My current system does not match the wiring colors on the 7400. Current system is a trolatemp by honeywell. The terminal colors are: WROBGY This is an oil forced air heat and AC system with 2 zones. The...

View more questions Search