Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask

View Poll Results: What has been the most effective factor in helping you cope during no contact?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keeping as busy as possible with schoolwork or work

8 11.94%
  • Spending time and catch up with old friends

9 13.43%
  • Meeting new people and making new friends

5 7.46%
  • Joining the gym or playing lots of sports

7 10.45%
  • Spending quality time with family

3 4.48%
  • Doing new/old activities, such as volunteering, joining clubs, etc.

2 2.99%
  • Doing and finding new hobbies

2 2.99%
  • Re-reading the advice that we receive from this site reminding us why we are in NC

15 22.39%
  • Blocking and deleting him/her from ALL social networks, IM and email

12 17.91%
  • Changing your phone number

4 5.97%
    snippy07 Posts: 84, Reputation: 6

Sep 18, 2009, 06:31 AM

My relationship has been rocky for the past 2 months... We dated for 13 months. Just ended lastnight with her saying "i like another guy" she says she has only liked him for 2 days... I don't see how she can ditch her boyfriend who she claims to love for another guy.

Anyway NC is so hard for me, I haven't broke it yet, but it's just so tempting. I love her so much and I thought she was different from most girls. I don't feel like I could feel the same way and act the same way with another girl. I'm going to the beach with this other girl today who I used to have a crush on, but we have been just friends for 2 years.

I need help to keep it NC, my friends are saying she will try contacting me within a week.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2009, 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by snippy07 View Post
    I need help to keep it NC, my friends are saying she will try contacting me within a week.
    The below statement is all the motivation you should need for going NC.

Quote Originally Posted by snippy07 View Post
    My relationship has been rocky for the past 2 months... We dated for 13 months. Just ended lastnight with her saying "i like another guy" she says she has only liked him for 2 days... I don't see how she can ditch her boyfriend who she claims to love for another guy.
    As much as it sucks to hear that, once your GIRLFRIEND says that to you, get the hell out of there. No looking back and no losing your dignity. That is a free pass for you to move on without regard for her anymore. Most people who break up feel they have no closure, well, this is your closure. For her to even say that to you shows how heartless she is. She could have just ended it by saying her feelings have changed, but she chose to actually tell you she likes another guy.
    Luckylucy09 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2009, 01:15 PM
    I would do anything to get over the anger I feel. When my ex and I were together he got upset when I went hiking with a male friend and told me he stops talking to female friends when he has a girlfriend. I told him that was silly and he should be able to have female friends as long as they did not have a current relationship past or if she was in love with him. I found out recently that he was lying and he had a ex who he told everything to. She knew everything about me and every time we were together. Plus, he went and had sex with her right after we broke up. He hid her existence from me. I have no idea if he cheated with her when we were together. Probably because he would go away for weekends and have no cell phone reception. I just feel so scammed and angry. He filled my head up with so much BS. What gets me so mad is I meet these men who have such high expectations of me but are not willing to give it back. Argh. He is not the first guy who has said that he fell for me because I was honest and real but why do they fake they are the same? Why don't they expect that sooner or later I will find out who they really are? :(
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2009, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckylucy09 View Post
    I would do anything to get over the anger I feel. When my ex and I were together he got upset when I went hiking with a male friend and told me he stops talking to female friends when he has a gf. I told him that was silly and he should be able to have female friends as long as they did not have a current relationship past or if she was in love with him. I found out recently that he was lying and he had a ex who he told everything to. She knew everything about me and every time we were together. Plus, he went and had sex with her right after we broke up. He hid her existence from me. I have no idea if he cheated with her when we were together. Probably because he would go away for weekends and have no cell phone reception. I just feel so scammed and angry. He filled my head up with so much BS. What gets me so mad is I meet these men who have such high expectations of me but are not willing to give it back. Argh. He is not the first guy who has said that he fell for me because I was honest and real but why do they fake they are the same? Why don't they expect that sooner or later I will find out who they really are? :(
    Thye probably want to be with you, because you are a representation of what they want to be, and you are safe. They aren't willing to give up their crap, so they keep you around so that they can sory of "live through you" It's like hwen a kid makes an imaginary friend, Say it's a flying cheetah for example, Many kids will pretend that they, themselves are a flying cheetah too. It makes them feel good. It's a game of pretend, and they might not even know they're doing it.
    MrGr8 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2009, 09:19 PM

I was sticking to no contact but my ex called me on Thursday from a withheld number. She asked if there was anything else I had to say and just started to talk about general things, we ended up talking for 2 and a half hours. She phoned again yesterday and the conversation started OK but then she started to get moody and kept going on and on about things in the relationship that I did wrong, things we have gone over and over. I had to hang up in the end. I ended up sending her a few texts which she replied to but then suddenly stopped which really annoyed me. Why get back in contact and then just stop dead? This is a game to her and I wish she wouldn't see it like that. I feel angry now and that things have gone backwards.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 02:40 AM
    If they call you from number withheld simply say I'm sorry Im busy and I can't talk to you.Stop buying in to the mind games and ignore them.They re pushing your buttons because you let them.. No contact and I mean one hundred percent No Contact works but you have to stick to it.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Sep 19, 2009, 05:08 AM

Read the no contact rules: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...qs-332732.html

If she called you with an unknown number, then you just politely say that you're busy and hang up. Don't allow the conversation to drag on any longer than it has to be. Otherwise, if you talk to her, it will just add to the confusion and drag out the healing process.
    Jenn24 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2009, 08:59 PM
    Why do we waste time on people who are just not worth it? Why do we pine for someone when we know we deserve much better? There would be no urges to break NC if we were to just think logically instead of reacting on emotions.
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2009, 09:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenn24 View Post
    Why do we waste time on people who are just not worth it? Why do we pine for someone when we know we deserve much better? There would be no urges to break NC if we were to just think logically instead of reacting on emotions.
    Because we had once love them and it takes time to heal.
    Family & People Expert

Sep 22, 2009, 11:12 AM

It's easier to think logically if you're not emotionally attached to the situation. Sometimes feeilngs can get in the way of logic.

It's not a good or bad thing. There's no right or wrong. It's just how it is. That's why we seek advice from others, because people who are not emotionally involved in the situation can able to view
    The circumstances more objectively.
    BradDurden Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 04:18 PM

Additionally with the NC rule... when you think you should be responding remember that:
    Silence is a strong response.
    In fact there is an old song by that title from the late 60's great song. You may feel like you need to rub in the fact that your OK and don't need her all that crap. But when she doesn't hear from you, she wonders. I love that quote about relationships are like rubberbands. Keep the tension... and they always come back... good luck!!
    FlyingViper Posts: 10, Reputation: 8

Nov 1, 2009, 04:14 PM

I Wish, these ideas are very smart and useful!
    I haven't read the thread yet, so sorry if I'm repeating.

Essentially, this process allows a person to go from being upset over a breakup or a rejection -- to having an added dimension to their personality.

Example: guy breaks up with girl, in the time he used to spend with the girl, he now works out, coaches little league, reads 2 books a week, and has keyboard lessons 3x a week. This not only distracts him from the pain of his breakup, but it makes him a better person because he is gaining experience, skills and knowledge etc.
    Family & People Expert

Nov 1, 2009, 07:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingViper View Post
    Example: guy breaks up with girl, in the time he used to spend with the girl, he now works out, coaches little league, reads 2 books a week, and has keyboard lessons 3x a week. This not only distracts him from the pain of his breakup, but it makes him a better person because he is gaining experience, skills and knowledge etc.
    Exactly, when we break up, we're in a very depressed mood. So the best thing to do is get busy so that we're distracted from feeling so down. It's also a great opportunity to do the things that we didn't have time to do while we were in a relationship. Furthermore, when we are single, it's a good time to improve yourselves. What better way than to combine personal growth along with the healing process of a relationship.
    quick_boy Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2009, 02:48 AM

I kant get my ex out of my head I love her so much . I've tried doing things but it just reminds me of her
    Family & People Expert

Nov 2, 2009, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by quick_boy View Post
    i kant get my ex out of my head i love her so much . iv tryed doing things but it just reminds me of her
    It's definitely tough in the beginning of NC, but it will get easier with him. Be patient with yourself. Keep on doing things for yourself. Try to do as many things on the list as possible.
    Yuneshik Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Nov 4, 2009, 03:59 PM

A tip is that whenever you feel like you want to send her a message or something, write it down and wait it out for 1-2 days. Then you'll realize the mistake you'll make if you send that message to her. You'll know that it was just a moment in desperation.
    hoppy1403 Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2009, 10:54 AM
    Urges tonight are strong been out in town when I see couples all I do is think of her. Its my fault our relationship ended me being nightmare to live with for the last year but I have asked about a week ago you want to meet she says maybe now I have an urge to text saying can I take you to dinner to talk its hard.
    Family & People Expert

Nov 26, 2009, 11:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppy1403 View Post
    urges tonight are strong been out in town when i see couples all i do is think of her. its my fault our relationship ended me being nightmare to live with for the last year but i have asked about a week ago you wanna meet she says maybe now i have an urge to text saying can i take you to dinner to talk its hard.
    Find something else to do so that you're not available for dinner. Make plans with other friends. Otherwise, you're going to reset all your progress.

Fight the urges buddy, we're with you on this.
    hoppy1403 Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2009, 11:20 AM
    Thanks can I ask the NC rule is for those wanting to get over there ex I using it to give her space and time to make her choice does it work on bringing her back for other guys.
    Family & People Expert

Nov 26, 2009, 11:33 AM
    You are in pain. NC is to heal, regardless of the situation that you are in.

Once you've healed, you will be in a better position to approach your situation, because you will feel more objective because the emotional dust will have settled down.

NC is also to help you gain some perspective, without the influence of the other person.

Conversely, if you continue to keep in touch, you will over-analyze all the details and generate false hope. Both of which are very unhealthy behaviors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Thoughts and urges [ 7 Answers ]

Ok.. so I am a little embarrassed by what I am about to write, but I am just being honest, so here it goes... I am a 20 year old girl, in a serious relationship with a man, but I have been feeling the urge to be with girls.. well, not "girls" but one girl. I have a best friend and lately I have...

What to do with child who want to break the rules and do the contrary [ 2 Answers ]

What to do with child who want to break the rules and do the contrary

Urges again [ 3 Answers ]

Its been almost a year since I've stopped cutting but even sometimes when I feel OK I just am so overwelmed to cut myself I don't get it I'm scard about it just one thing makes me sad or pisses me off I find myself with my knife about to cut I just don't get why I want to do it but don't its so...

Eliminate sexual urges [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all, I am 30 year old guy unmarried. Never had sex. I wish to remain unmarried and get rid of my sexual urges entirely. However, what ever I do should not cause permanent damage, in case I change my mind later in life I myself do not understand what has led to the present state of my mind....

View more questions Search