Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 09:11 AM
    Gases Graphs
    Ok, I have just started the chapter Gases and the Ideal Gas Law.

I am to sketch the graph for P (pressure) against T (temperature in Kelvin) whilst the number of moles and volume are kept constant and I got a graph similar to that of an y = x graph.

Now, I am to graph another one for the case of a gas which decompose on heating, N2O4, giving 2 moles of NO2. I can't seem to imagine such a situation.

What I've come up till now is that upon heating, decomposition occurs, hence and increase in pressure at first. However, heat will certainly be absorbed in the decomposition process. If so, there would be a sudden sharp increase in pressure and then, the gradient of the graph decreases to become once more linear. Am I right? I'll reply in about 30 min. (have other work to do... )

:)
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2009, 11:07 AM
    I have to sketch the graph for P (pressure) against T (temperature in Kelvin) whilst the number of moles and volume are kept constant and I got a graph similar to that of an y = x graph.
    Ideal gas law:

Since you don't know n, the number of moles, you can't do any explicit calculations. Only P and T vary.

and P is proportional to T. So, you have a line through the origin (T=0 on an absolute temperature scale) of slope nR/V

Now, I am to graph another one for the case of a gas which decompose on heating, N2O4, giving 2 moles of NO2. I can't seem to imagine such a situation.

What I've come up till now is that upon heating, decomposition occurs, hence and increase in pressure at first. However, heat will certainly be absorbed in the decomposition process. If so, there would be a sudden sharp increase in pressure and then, the gradient of the graph decreases to become once more linear. Am I right? I'll reply in about 30 min. (have other work to do... )
    If NO2 and N2O4 are considered ideal gases (they probably aren't), you are increasing T, and at the rate of decomposition, increasing n. V is constant so P will increase.

n only increases until all of the N2O4 is consumed. So, I think you're right. After all of the N2O4 is consumed, P will be proportional to T, as in the first problem.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 11:15 AM

I was just wondering why we had to plot PV against P? I know we get a straight horizontal line, but I can't seem to see it... :(

P against V, OK, the graph is like y = 1/x
    P against 1/V, OK, the graph is like y = x

taking PV = k for the ease of graphing and 'juggling' with the equation.
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2009, 11:22 AM
    I am to sketch the graph for P (pressure) against T (temperature in Kelvin) whilst the number of moles and volume are kept constant and I got a graph similar to that of an y = x graph.
    Did you say PV against V? I can't see that. I'm not sure why you would plot PV against P. That would be equivalent to plotting P against V or vice-versa.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 11:32 AM

Oh, sorry that was another separate question, but since it is in the same topic...

PV against P gives a straight line

However, P against V gives a graph like that of y = k/x where k is a constant.

I'll rephrase my question, how do I know what graph to get if I'm required to plot PV against P.
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2009, 11:50 AM
    PV against P gives a straight line

However, P against V gives a graph like that of y = k/x where k is a constant.

I'll rephrase my question, how do I know what graph to get if I'm required to plot PV against P
    Hmmm.

At constant T and n, PV is always a constant so PV is a constant. If T changes, PV will be proportional to T. P will also be proportional to T if V is constant. You'll end up with a straight line.

But, that's just for ideal gases. If PV isn't constant, you'll end up with a curved line -- deviations from the ideal gas law.

Let me find something:

http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genche...eviation5.html

http://library.thinkquest.org/C00666...nderwaals.html
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 12:04 PM

Ah! Those links helped! I'm going to go through them... There was a question about ammonia which would have followed, but I saw it in the link. Thanks! :)
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 12:58 PM

Ok, I understood it! Thanks again Perito! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

ABS vs PVC gases [ 3 Answers ]

I am a former handyman. One of my current co-workers made the comment that ABS is approved for use with pressurized gases ( compressed air ) and PVC is not. I disagree ! I have only seen ABS used for DVW. If I am wrong can anyone tell me the reference on this ?

Dissolved Gases in Lakes [ 2 Answers ]

What factors affect the levels of dissolved oxygen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide in the aphotic zone of a lake?

Gases [ 1 Answers ]

I have a smell in my house like raw sewage. What can I do to get rid of smell.

View more questions Search