Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Sep 25, 2006, 10:37 PM
    Twin Tower Question
    If the architects were aware of the design's susceptibility to heat why didn't any of them make a quick call to inform those who were in danger of the buildings collapsing on them?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 26, 2006, 01:20 AM
    The metal had a heat protection coating, but it was blow off by the crash on the several floors with the direct hit ( from my understanding)

And of course they did know before the towers fell that they were in danger, from the police helecopter who said it appeared to be weakening, and of course when the first fell to the time the second one fell

What happened was that first of course the elevators were not working, so everyone was on the stairs, firemen going up, people trying to come down.

The fire radios could not reach the firemen further up in the buildings, so they had no way to talk to each other. The police radios could not talk to the firemen. So while they tried to get the warning out, by the time they got to some of them it was too late for them to get out.

( an over simiple version)

They had approved new radios that would allow fire and police to talk to each other a year eariler, but the police chief and fire chief could not agree on who was to be in control of them, and the radios were never used. *** side note, and to this day they still have not agreed and the radios are still not in use.
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Sep 26, 2006, 02:28 AM
    I don't think you can design a structure that caters for every eventuality. After all, when designing a product, your first concern is for the safety of who or what may be inside.
    Fire is one of the hazards taken into account and there are the building regs that state (among other things) that you cannot build a structure that does not have any hazard protection.
    I have yet to see or hear of a set of building regs that state the structure must be safe against a plane flying into it. You may as well write building regs that state the structure must be bomb proof!

It was a sad day, not only for those that lost their lives but for the whole world, muslims included. This has coloured the western view of the muslim religion and the people that follow Islam.

It is strange that considering all religions (well the ones that I know of) teach peace and yet throughout history more people have died because of ones God being better than other. Even as an atheist I cannot undertsand such a senseless act.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2006, 04:30 AM
    I believe that the structures, as the Empire State building demonstrated, can withstand the impact of a small plane. I'm not sure any building could withstand a wide-body jet fully laden with fuel crashing into it a very high velocity. That risk mitigation probably did not occur to them during design in the early 70's.
    javedahmad Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Oct 11, 2006, 10:47 PM
    For more information on what really happened on 9-11 please visit http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2006, 01:46 AM
    Well everybody has different views on what really happened...
    No website or story may change some peoples minds.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Oct 15, 2006, 10:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by colbtech
    I don't think you can design a structure that caters for every eventuality. After all, when designing a product, your first concern is for the safety of who or what may be inside.
    Fire is one of the hazards taken into account and there are the building regs that state (among other things) that you cannot build a structure that does not have any hazard protection.
    I have yet to see or hear of a set of building regs that state the structure must be safe against a plane flying into it. You may as well write building regs that state the structure must be bomb proof!

It was a sad day, not only for those that lost their lives but for the whole world, muslims included. This has coloured the western view of the muslim religion and the people that follow Islam.

It is strange that considering all religions (well the ones that I know of) teach peace and yet throughout history more people have died because of ones God being better than other. Even as an atheist I cannot undertsand such a senseless act.
    I do agree with you on the inability to prepare a structure for all eventualities. That would mean conceivably preparing it for a direct hit by an asteroid-right? No, what my question entails is within the realm of the possible. I design a building, see that it's being subjected to temperatures which might cause its immediate collapse, make a quick phone call or else go personally to the site if it is possible, and dutifully inform the authorities that those inside are in grave danger due to imminent building collapse.

That is all I am asking about.
    DwightB Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Nov 26, 2006, 09:11 PM
    The structural members had fire protection that was sprayed on and rated for 4 hours of protection, which would have allowed the building to completely empty safely under foreseeable conditions. What was NOT foreseeable, was that the impact would blast off the spray-on fire protection (a product that has been used successfully in thousands of installations) and expose the steel to burning jet fuel thus drastically reducing the time required to soften the structure. At the same time, the impact made elevator inoperable and blocked exit stairs for all above the floors of impact, eliminating their only route of escape other than windows.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cd drive in g4 tower [ 2 Answers ]

For no apparent reason the cd tray on my Mac G4 (about 3 years old) suddendly came out as if to eject a cd. I have tried pushing it back in, but it immediately comes out again, no matter whether there is a cd in it or not. When there is a cd in the tray, the computer does not read it before it...

Tower Fans [ 2 Answers ]

I have looked and cannot find info on what the advantages of the fairly new tower fans are to a traditional circular blade fan. Can anyone explain. I have a fairly large living room that is open to the dining area and kitchen so its hard to cool. I'm limited because my wife doesn't like drafts...

Tower-Smoking [ 3 Answers ]

I smoke a lot when I'm using my PC. I know it's bad for both of us. I do have a home smoke filter next to it. My question is, can I use something(what?) in the air intake of my computer without compromising the cooling factor too much. Might it be possible to put an extremely lightly oiled...

Time tower on xp won't boot [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all. I will give you as much info as I can. I have a time tower now running xp. My brother has an identical tower running 98. Last night he developed a problem with his hard drive. He thought it would be a good idea to take his hard drive from his machine & put it in to my tower. He couldn't...

View more questions Search