Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 05:55 AM
    Auto Darkening in aircraft?
    Are their any Auto Darkening Aircraft Windshields, Goggles or glasses that auto darken like welding helmets for Lightning, Lasers, weapons firing?
    Zazonker Posts: 126, Reputation: 19
    -

May 8, 2009, 10:23 AM

I haven't seen any commercially. Maybe someone else has. I've flown with one in the military.

The laser thing is a real problem and may get worse. That may be the impetus for some company to put one on the market.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 19, 2009, 01:32 PM

There are some sunglasses that auto darken but they do not react quick enough to counter for a laser, weapon or lightning. A welders helmet might work but they cut your day time vision by nearly 50% when they aren't detecting a flash, not good for a pilot.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 19, 2009, 02:13 PM

How about the lens for one eye, should one become temporarily out of order, you could have redundant sight?
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

May 26, 2009, 10:27 AM

The one eye thing was one of the temporary 'fixes' to the potential blinding by lasers pending a real fix. I believe the emphasis has been on goggles rather than the canopy, although lasers with different wave lengths is a poblem. Not sure what the latest technology is.

Not sure you want the canopy to autodarken for lightning. It might make a night landing in stormy weather a bit tricky. Perhaps if you could some how turn feature off electronically...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any have a you fly it aircraft carrier [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking for pictures, info advert or the toy it self foam us enterprise aircraft carrier with jet you can launch and fly from late 70s

For aircraft mechanics [ 11 Answers ]

1.> Are aircraft mechanics required to ride on an airplane after they repaired it? (answered by: FlyYakker and Flying Blue Eagle) Next question: Is it worth it to be an aircraft mechanic? The experience, the late night shifts, the benefits (would you prefer to change to another job? Or it's...

Aircraft pollution? [ 3 Answers ]

I live directly in line with a the main runway at an International airport and about 8 Km from it. We see a yellow substance on our cars and laundry. Could this be from pollution of the aircraft?

Aircraft emission [ 3 Answers ]

How and why are two lines of cloud formed by airoplanes. What type of airoplane engines cause this(is it is caused only by war planes or do commercial planes too emit this parallel clouds?

Aircraft emission [ 6 Answers ]

How and why are two lines of cloud formed by airoplanes. What type of airoplane engines cause this(is it is caused only by war planes or do commercial planes too emit this parallel clouds?

View more questions Search