Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    myair Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2009, 05:49 PM
    Hear fan running but no cool air
    I have a trane central heat/air system. The heater worked but made a rattling noise at times. The air condition would blow but the house get warmer instead of cooler. When I turn on the air I will hear the fan but never the click right before the air normally blows out the vents. The unit will continue to make noise *fan* but it never click to have the air blowing into the house. Could you help me>?
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 06:21 PM

Check your breaker for the outside unit.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 07:17 PM
    I agree with acetc check your breakers going to the out side unit. If its not running you lost power(230v supply or 24v control) If its running check to see if it has frost on the refrigerant lines(inside and out).
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 07:18 PM

You have a direct drive motor that turns a squirrel cage that blows the air sometimes these cages get loose on the shaft of the motor and make noise but don't turn as fast at the motor.

Other times the squirrel cage will come apart and will not blow as much air as it should.

Unplug the furnace and look into the squirrel cage to see if you see anything that might be bad.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 07:21 PM

I agree with letmetellu, I think they are having a probem with the blower motor not the ac unit.

May 7, 2009, 07:26 PM

I just had someone to check it. He said it was the condenser fan and capitator would this be the same
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 07:32 PM
    Condenser fan is out side at the a/c , blower motor is inside.
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 07:33 PM

So you do have air moving in the house or no??

May 7, 2009, 07:39 PM

Okay sorry I did not know. I am a female with no knowledge of this:). Should I have the person to come back and check the blower motor? Also, I realized when my neighbor's ac comes on my lights dims. The energy company came out and said there was no problem but they had to replace the pole along side my house because it was loose and the wires were expose instead of being underground. Could this all tie into the problem with the ac unit? My house was built 7 years ago but for some reason the energy company forgot to come out and place the permanent pole along side my house which is why he said the wires was not underground like they should have been.

May 7, 2009, 07:40 PM
    I do not feel the air at all. But air has to blow because the temperate in the house would increase instead of decrease and the unit would continue to run until I turn it off.
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 07:41 PM

Is the unit outside running? Fan spinning and compressor making a humming sound?

May 7, 2009, 07:47 PM

Lol I do not know how to explain but here it goes. Do you know when the air first comes on and you hear the fan than a couple of seconds later you hear like a click and the air starts to blow. Well, when I turn it on I hear the fan but it never makes the click noise therefore you never hear the air blowing. I hope you understand what I am trying to say
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 07:49 PM

Some units the outdoor unit comes on first then in about 25 seconds the click brings on the fan is this what you are talking about?

May 7, 2009, 07:54 PM
    I guess yes. So since it is not clicking is this what is preventing the air from coming in, the fan?
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 08:00 PM
    Go to your thermostat turn the system to off. Turn the blower(fan) selection at the thermostat to on. Will it blow air?

May 7, 2009, 08:03 PM

Also during the time I used the heater the master bathroom and laundry room would not warm like the other rooms. So could it be the blower motor and fan

May 7, 2009, 08:06 PM
    Yes when I turn it from auto to fan with thermostat off the fan comes on. This is the same sound I hear whenever I turn on the ac but it never switch to the next phase.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC condenser fan not running nor is cool air [ 9 Answers ]

My condenser fan stopped running and there is no cool air coming from the vents. I'm wondering now though, will the cool air stop flowing just because the fan is not running, or does this mean that the compressor has gone bad? The compressor still turns on fine (it seems a bit nosier now though)...

Both heat and cool running [ 5 Answers ]

My heating and cooling running the same time in cool switch mode

I can hear heater running but no warm air is coming out [ 3 Answers ]

I can hear our heater running from the laundry room but there is no warm air coming out of the vents. The thermostat is set on 71 and it is 64 in the house at this time. All I know is that we have a Bryant heater that is probably 5 or 6 years old. Help!

I can hear water running in my bathroom walll. What is the cause? [ 4 Answers ]

I can hear water running in my bathroomwall. What is the problem?

Air Conditioning Not Running Cool. [ 1 Answers ]

Changed the filter a few days ago, since then the rooftop unit is not running. The fan in the air handler is running but not blowing cool air. Help!

View more questions Search